Pleeeease fix the kerning!!!

simwin

Pleeeease fix the kerning!!!

Post by simwin »

Please fix the kerning of letters! In zoom less then 120% it loooks awful for Times New Roman!
I've not checked it for Windows, but I think there will be the same.
That's fair for both Freeoffice and Softmaker Office.
sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Pleeeease fix the kerning!!!

Post by sven-l »

Have you activated Kerning in Format=>Characters? Could you please attach a screenshot and a sample file demonstrating the problem?
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH
strangenoises

Re: Pleeeease fix the kerning!!!

Post by strangenoises »

I found this question amusing because I actually just discovered FreeOffice after finally despairing of LibreOffice's terrible kerning bug on HiDPI screens, and I was enjoying the timeless charms of a WYSIWIG wordprocessor where the text actually looked good again!

It may or may not be perfect at smaller text/display sizes. Font hinting is a delicate art, and if SoftMaker are hand-rolling their own (which would at least give cross-platform consistency) what you might be seeing is it just being a touch different from that which you're used to because it's native to your platform. It's still miles and miles better than LibreOffice.

(Maybe it wasn't the case, but I note kerning seems to be enabled by default in the default template's Normal style. Looks OK in Times New Roman too - I'd switched to another font as a matter of course because the TNR font itself is just horrible.)

Return to “SoftMaker Office 2018 for Linux (General)”