Memory issue - lost all images

gluemthkid

Memory issue - lost all images

Post by gluemthkid »

I was working on a fairly large presentation. 150 slides. Multiple images per slide with transitions.

I was coming to a stopping point when I got an error but it said something to the effect "Presentation has run low on memory and images cannot be saved"

I tried to do a SAVE AS and save it as a different file. but the same error popped up.

I had just saved maybe 20 minutes earlier so I hoped just restarting the app would put me back to my last point.

When I restarted all of my slides and transitions were there including the lasted slides I had added, but ALL OF MY IMAGES were gone.

Is there a size limit or any other system restriction that would cause this?

Please advise.
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Memory issue - lost all images

Post by miguel-c »

If you are using a 32bit version, the memory limit is 2GB. (FreeOffice for Windows is 32bits).

SoftMaker Office has both variants: 32 and 64bits.
gluemthkid

Post by gluemthkid »

**UPDATE***

Here is the exact message. It happened again. I was re-adding all of my images and got this. When I restart the app ALL of the images are gone again. 4 hours down the drain. This frustrating.

ERROR:
Presentations runs dangerously low on memory.
In order to prevent data loss all pictures have been disabled until you restart the application. We recommend you to save all your documents as soon as possible and run the program again with more memory available.
It is no longer possible to run the slide show.

I am running Windows 10 with 8G of ram.
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by miguel-c »

Like I mentioned before, if you are using a 32bit version, the memory limit is 2GB. (FreeOffice for Windows is 32bits).

SoftMaker Office has both variants: 32 and 64bits.

It's always a good practice not to use many images with high resolution. There are many free applications that you download and batch resize your images to a more bearable size.
gluemthkid

Post by gluemthkid »

Yup. That was my issue. I was running the 32bit. SMH.

Good suggestion on resizing the images. Do you care to recommend a specific tool to do so.
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by miguel-c »

I've used PIXresizer in the past: https://bluefive.pairsite.com/pixresizer.htm
Whitemud

Post by Whitemud »

Same thing happened with me. Have a large media/image rich presentation to give in the morning, and all my pictures are gone. Just got a new PC for Christmas, installed the 32bit and then the 64 - was going to try it before purchasing the software - but still can't regain the images. I've been a Mac user for 18 years, so I'm at a loss to figuring this out in such short notice. Moving to Libre to rebuild my presentation until I can wrap my head around the issue. Super frustrated.
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by miguel-c »

OK, but whatever program you use, try to keep the images to a small size, because "big images x many" is a dangerous formula.
Whitemud

Post by Whitemud »

Thanks. Libre Impress saved my presentation for the day, however, it too did the same thing later - which, in a way, I'm thankful for (hate how clunky and crappy Impress is, and this gives me a valid excuse to toss it). SoftMaker Presentation detects the images, but that's as far as it goes. I'll have to rebuild the lecture with lower res pictures for next time. Do embedded videos cause the same problem?
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by miguel-c »

Embedding videos might cause problems if they are many and/or large.

Return to “Presentations 2018 for Windows”