Embedding files

Jon Polish

Embedding files

Post by Jon Polish »

I want to embed files in my presentation so that I can distribute it to others for viewing. The presentation is fine, but others cannot open the embedded files by double clicking. Shouldn't this be possible?

Jon
sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Embedding files

Post by sven-l »

What kind of files do you want to embed? Video files? Sound files?
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH
Jon Polish

Post by Jon Polish »

PDFs. I would also like to embed some Excel and Word files.

Jon
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k »

When you embed an object, I assume you do that by inserting that as an OLE object.

Double-clicking opens the application that created the object. But for that, that application must be installed on the PC on which you do the double-clicking. That's the way OLE works.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH
Jon Polish

Post by Jon Polish »

Right. I know this and I am embedding an OLE object. This works in other programs on my computer, but not with Presentations. When testing it on my computer, double clicking the object will open the file. On other computers with the supporting program installed, it does not work. So I am wondering why this should be. Does Presentations treat the object as a link and when the link is broken, it fails to open? By the way, it is not embedded as a link.
jimjutte
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by jimjutte »

Hi Jon,

I just tried to duplicate what you are running into. Can you confirm that you are actually able to embed the file that is causing troubles. I noticed that if a pdf has security on it, it cannot even be embedded never mind opened. However, if the security is removed, I was able to embed and subsequently open the file. Does any of this seem similar to you?
Cheers
Jim
Jon Polish

Post by Jon Polish »

Hi Jim:

Thank you for helping. No, there is no security for any of the pdfs. They appear to be embedded (OLE object frame) and work well as long as the presentation remains on my laptop. The images of the pdfs are visible. Once distributed to others the images remain but the file cannot be opened. It is almost as if the file was linked and once off my laptop, the link is broken. But I did not link the files. I embedded them.

Because of this problem I had to use LibreOffice to create the presentation. The embedded files worked perfectly.

Jon
jimjutte
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by jimjutte »

Hi Jon,

If these aren't sensitive files, is there a possibility of uploading one so I can see if I (and/or tech support) can duplicate the problem?
Cheers
Jim
Jon Polish

Post by Jon Polish »

They contain medical information. While the patients are not identified, I cannot share the file. However, if time permits perhaps a dummy file can be created. Give me some time.

Jon
jimjutte
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by jimjutte »

That could work.
Cheers
Jim

Return to “Presentations 2018 for Windows”