hyperlinks and worksheet names

Norstaera

hyperlinks and worksheet names

Post by Norstaera »

Hi,
Is there a naming convention or formatting for worksheet names? Here's what I want to do:
I have 2 different workbooks, each with several worksheets.
In WorkbookA I want to create a hyperlink to a specific cell in a specific worksheet in WorkbookB. The worksheet name is This, That, etc.
=HYPERLINK("[D:\My Folder\Stuff\General Info.pmdx]This, That, etc.")

I looked through the help provided, but didn't find any warnings that suggested worksheet names had to be a single word or that if the name was something like 'This, That, etc.' it should be enclosed in something like brackets or quotes. If I change the worksheet name to ThisThat, then I will break numerous links within WorksheetB.

If 'This, That, etc.' is not a valid worksheet name in all instances, then that information should be in the manual. Or if valid but needs () or something, that information should also be in the manual. To me, it seems like basic info.

When I click the link I created in WorkbookA, I do open WorkbookB - just not the correct sheet. It goes to the next sheet (a single word name). And once WorkbookB is open, the link in WorkbookA does nothing, it's just like any plain text field until I close WorkbookB.

Thank you.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: hyperlinks and worksheet names

Post by SuperTech »

Edit: Sorry for misunderstanding, previous answer was incorrect.

Correct answer: For the Hyperlink function of PlanMaker, the target sheet can be of multiple words without adding any brackets, etc, there is no problem with that.

As you have reported that you tried it and it didn't work. Please share both your files, if possible. Otherwise, please share the name of your target sheet, hyperlink function which you used in the cell, and the target address cell/range like B5.

Thanks
Norstaera

Re: hyperlinks and worksheet names

Post by Norstaera »

Not possible?
That seems to contradict your own help document. Am I missing something? From Planmaker Help:

"Displays a hyperlink to the specified target address in the cell. The text displayed is either the target address or the text specified in the optional parameter Text.

For example, you can place a link to a web page in a cell. When the user clicks on it, the web browser starts and presents the page.

Links to other PlanMaker documents are possible as well. When clicked, PlanMaker opens the specified document.

TargetAddress is the address you want the link to point to. You can use a fixed text string, a calculation, or a reference to a cell that contains the target address. See the examples below."

and

"=HYPERLINK("[c:\My Folder\Filename.pmdx]Sheet1!A5")

The above link opens the file c:\My Folder\Filename.pmdx in PlanMaker and jumps to the cell A5 on the worksheet "Sheet1". Note: The entire file path and name has to be enclosed in brackets. Behind the file name, add the name of the worksheet, an exclamation mark, and the address of the target cell.

=HYPERLINK("[c:\My Folder\Filename.pmdx]Sheet1!MyRange")"

The above link opens the file c:\My Folder\Filename.pmdx in PlanMaker and jumps to the top left corner of the named range "MyRange" on the worksheet "Sheet1".

I'm confused.

Return to “PlanMaker 2018 for Windows”