Shared Document

coreynicho11

Shared Document

Post by coreynicho11 »

Does anyone know of a way to share documents between users on a network. ie if someone else is working on the document i can still open it without it being read only. I know this can be accomplished in excel by sharing the workbook but can this be done here??

Thanks in advance for your help! :D
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Shared Document

Post by miguel-c »

Hi, PlanMaker doesn't have that functionality.
Babylonia

Post by Babylonia »

coreynicho11 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:43 am Does anyone know of a way to share documents between users on a network.....
So at least you are using a network file server.
If this file server is e.g. a "Synology NAS" and you are using "File Station",
you have the options to import "Office / Excel / Planmaker" files into the NAS, under the own Synology package "Drive".
As part of this application, it is an own Synology Office implementation in a an own format and seen "in a web browser" user GUI.

It is completely multi-user, multi-tasking and multi accessible.
So you can even work by several users to the same worksheet, instantly.
To avoid unnecessary edits of the same cells, just make some messages as a side-note with the package "Chat".
To inform other users what you are doing.

Worksheets can be exported back tot real *.xls files. And opened by FileMaker.
As "Drive" only can be used within a "web-browser" based user GUI,
the functionality is far more simple than the real packages of Filemaker / Excel.
But in many cases, if the worksheet is not that complicated. It can do a great job.
Babylonia

Post by Babylonia »

miguel-c wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:27 am Hi, PlanMaker doesn't have that functionality.
But it should be a wise decision to implement that functionality.
In spite of my previous explanation of a "Synology" work around.

Within a none profit organisation I do work for. This simple missing it is the main reasons not to choose for the SoftMaker software and using MS Office, as the SoftMaker implementation do give problems just using files by opening by "WebDAV" of the network drive. And by that opening files by different users at the same time. SoftMaker doesn't have a protection against wrong editing in case of "doubled working" to files by users.

Return to “PlanMaker 2018 for Windows”