Isn't a link actionable by a simple mouse click ?

Clairvaux

Isn't a link actionable by a simple mouse click ?

Post by Clairvaux »

Right now, my links need pressing CTRL and clicking on the mouse. A pop-up duly says so when hovering over them.

I would have sweared that beforehand, the cursor changed when hovering over links, and just clicking on the mouse opened the underlying webpage. Indeed, the manual says that's how it's supposed to work. What's afoot ?
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Isn't a link actionable by a simple mouse click ?

Post by SuperTech »

Thank you for the feedback. It's good to know that this feature is working as per documentation.
Clairvaux

Post by Clairvaux »

I must say I'm a bit surprised by the snarky tone of that answer.

I'm asking for help. Do you confirm that one cannot just click on links in Text Maker, as is the universal convention in software ? This is not a bug ? This is not a setting which I got wrong ? It would be a big annoyance.

I have experimented with Free Office a long time ago. I bought Soft Maker Standard quite a while ago, because I liked its general philosophy.

I've never been able to stop using Microsoft Office 2003, though, because there are so many things it can do. I'm now trying to re-evaluate whether to make the transition.

In the process, I'm encountering some definite advantages for Soft Maker, some worrying (at least apparent) bugs, and some annoying (at least apparent) drawbacks. That's why I'm asking.
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k »

Simply clicking inside a word that happens to be a hyperlink is too dangerous. You just might to want to set the cursor there, and then, bang, the hyperlink is executed. This is why we changed it to Ctrl+Click, exactly like in Microsoft Word. This is not really comparable to a web browser which offers only a read-only "document".

Sorry for the tone, my colleague didn't know the history how this feature changed.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH
Clairvaux

Post by Clairvaux »

You are welcome, thank you for the clarification.

So you did change this ? It was indeed possible, at some point, to just click a link ? That would explain why I did not believe my eyes.

I would have sweared that Word did not need the Ctrl key. I just checked, and indeed you're right. And though, I use Word everyday, and my documents are full of links... I should have my brains checked. :)

I must have been influenced by other programs, such as Word Pad, which enforces the "just click on it" rule (although it does flash a confirmation box), or the text editor I use, Edit Pad (which goes through normally).

Return to “TextMaker 2018 for Windows”