AutoCorrect

Hedgy

AutoCorrect

Post by Hedgy »

Hi!
There is only one feature that I miss very much in TextMaker comparing it with Word: AutoCorrect. I mean the possibility to create a custom list of autoreplacing words/phrases — for example, I type "TMP" — and it turns into "temporary minor post" :), and so on.
It would be great if you add this feature in the future!
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: AutoCorrect

Post by miguel-c »

Hi, TextMaker has that feature. It's called SmartText.

Creating SmartText entries
SmartText entries can be created either with the Insert > SmartText menu command, the background spell
checker, or the on-the-fly spell checker. You give the SmartText entry a name (e.g., "sd") and then enter the
desired content (e.g., "sales department").

Inserting SmartText entries
To call up a SmartText entry, simply type its name and then press the space bar, the Enter key, or a
punctuation character. The name will be immediately replaced by the content of the SmartText entry.
Alternatively, SmartText entries can be inserted manually using the menu command Insert > SmartText
Timeship

Post by Timeship »

Thanks for the reply, but... I was unable to find the "auto-correct" function at Insert > SmartText ;-) Am I looking in the right place, or is this feature available only in the paid version users, not in the freeware? (Screenshot attached.)

BTW, could you make your PDF Manuals searchable, or better yet create a FREE Wiki website for all of us, instead of advising us to post our questions in this forum (since there is NO customer support for the freeware version!) and then making us wait for a week or more for anyone to reply? Please make our lives easier. We all would greatly appreciate that.

Thanks!
Attachments
noautocorrect.png
Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi »

You are right, SmartText is only available in the full version.
The PDF manuals are searchable, just open them in Adobe Reader or some other PDF reader app. The forum is searchable, too, so I can't quite see what advantages an additional wiki would bring.
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k »

The built-in help file (.chm) is also fully searchable. Just press F1 and browse.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH
Timeship

Post by Timeship »

The "funny" problem is that NO text editor is actually a real text "editor" without the "autocorrect" feature, which is available in every other basic writing freeware on the planet. It can replace everything your FreeOffice lacks: the US m-dash, French and German foreign-language characters within the English text (umlauts, etc.), and many, many others. Replacing all those manually with the "symbols" option, or using copy-and-paste from other software's documents is a very slow process, and--frankly--it's a giant pain the neck! I guess, free is free, and there's always a catch to buy the FULL version, right? Thanks, but the next time you upgrade your "full version" to another "full version," it won't be gratis (as one of your reps told me), so this is an enormous catch! A whale-size hunting for buyers... because I see you upgrade just about every other month, or so! THX

Return to “TextMaker 2018 for Windows”