version 962-01 crashes opening Samba shares & 965-01 destroys text formatting in Word tables

bpr323

version 962-01 crashes opening Samba shares & 965-01 destroys text formatting in Word tables

Post by bpr323 »

1) I purchased Office 2018 for Linux 64 (debian) and installed version 962-01
Everything works fine editing Word documents, except one major issue.
My documents are stored on SMB share, which sometimes takes a few seconds to connect to.
After rebooting my Linux PC and opening Textmaker I got an error message "failed to restore connection to remote share - would you like to try again? Yes / No" - or something to that effect (I deleted the screenshot. Clicking either option has no effect and program hangs. I had to uninstall ver. 962-01 and reinstall it, but I now keep my documents on a locally mounted drive (USB pendrive).

2) Once ver. 965-01 (current latest) came out I installed it to upgrade Office 2018. I'm editing a Word document based on a complex form using what I think is a few locked tables - I haven't got time to dig deep into the complex Word formatting.
Suffice to say, ver. 962-01 worked flawlessly, but after upgrading to ver. 965-01 I cannot even click and copy the text inside the "field" - something destroys the page layout completely. Had to uninstall 965-01 and reinstall 962-01 making sure I don't cause the issue with remote Samba files.

3) I ran the <sudo /usr/share/office2018/add_apt_repo.sh> command and now my Linux PC keeps downloading the 965-01 and keeps updating to 965-01 which I don't want. - How do I "undo" adding this repository from my computer?

4) How do I check which version of Office 2018 I have?
Usually this can be found under Help >> About, but I cannot find this in Textmaker
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: version 962-01 crashes opening Samba shares & 965-01 destroys text formatting in Word tables

Post by miguel-c »

Hi, tomorrow we will release version 966. Could you please download it and try again? If the issue is still present by then, please contact us at support (at) softmaker.de and please include the file that causes the issue
bpr323

Re: version 962-01 crashes opening Samba shares & 965-01 destroys text formatting in Word tables

Post by bpr323 »

Hi Miguel-C,

(1) Thank you for answering my question 2 - hopefully 966-1 will fix the table/tab formatting bug. And if it doesn't - I will send you the Word file.
(2) That leaves open question 1 regarding Office crashing from start on failing to connect to previously opened file on Samba share. The error handling can be improved to avoid the loopy system response - answering either Yes or No to "do you want to continue?" doesn't have any effect which renders the system useless.
(3) I figured how to remove auto-updating to 965-1 from your repo - by editing sources in Synaptic and deleting the repo
(4) Could you please advise how does one check which version of Office s/he is running (e.g. Help > About) ?

Thank you!
bpr323

Post by bpr323 »

I've installed version 966-01 (without uninstalling 962-01) and I'm happy to confirm that both issues have been fixed in 966 !
1) 962 was crashing on opening/remembering files on Samba shares after restart
2) 965 was completely destroying numbered lists in a "single-cell" table

I've also found where to find the current version of my Office 2018 - on the far left end of the skinny toolbar below the Ribbon there is an [=] button which opens the menu list with "file", "edit", etc. and Help -> About at the bottom which shows a splash screen with the version number.

All GOOD, thank you guys for diligently, quickly and effectively fixing bugs.
I love Office 2018 - worth every cent I paid for yearly subscription!

Return to “TextMaker 2018 for Windows”