Copying Paragraph styles to another PC

Princy557

Copying Paragraph styles to another PC

Post by Princy557 »

HI,
I have created a number of paragraph styles for different types of document. But I would like to share them with my Laptop for when I'm away.
How do I achieve that?

Currently Normal.tmvx is stored in users/../Softmaker/Templates/English on you main drive. (thats not very flexible)

For example I have kevinstyle.tmvx buisinessStyleCorp.tmvx and buisinessStyleLocal.tmvx on my main computer.
If I use a document on my laptop it does not carry the style from the Main PC?

Is there a way of Transferring Styles over between devices? If not can it be added to future development.?

Regards
Regards

Princy557
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Copying Paragraph styles to another PC

Post by miguel-c »

Hi, you could use the portable version of Softmaker Office or use an external synchronization software, such as google backup and sync.
Princy557

Post by Princy557 »

Hi Miguel,
Thanks for the reply.
I am already using a synchronisation software as part of my NAS set up.
I would rather come up with a solution without Portable. It would be simpler.

I think I have confusion .....
From a previous post I was told that the templates were wherever the software was under User/.../documents/templates....

What I am not understanding is that I have set up under options my templates to be somewhere else, as the system allowed me to.
On that basis any files or template I change is automatically copied to the Laptop to the identical directory. The two PC's are set up identically for just this reason.

Also I thought Styles were embedded in the actual document you save. That also seems to be untrue.

I do searches but nothing comes up with a correct answer.

Softmaker can you help on this one please. It just does not seem logical that the Templates folder can be set up, yet templates are not where you expect them.
Regards
Regards

Princy557
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by miguel-c »

In File | Options | Files | Template Folder, you set a different location for your templates.
The next time you save a file as a template, TextMaker will show you that folder.
The next time you go to File | New | More, TextMaker will show you all the templates inside that same folder.
In File | New | More, there's also a button that says "Set as default". If you click it, TextMaker will make some changes to your Windows Registry so that from that point forward it will base new documents upon the selected template, and no longer based upon Normal.tmvx.
Princy557

Post by Princy557 »

HI Miguel,
I have done all that many times now. This is not working for me, which is what my problem is.
Also somewhere on the forum there is another email on almost the same subject with a reply from (I think) Sven whene he tells me that it is stored in the user/......softmaker/somewhere. area. Which in turn counters what I thought should happen and also what you have just described.
Hoping I can get difinitive answer from Softmaker sometime soon. It's driving me crazy.
Regards :o

Yes I do realize you are Softmaker team. It's just what you describe does not work on my system
Regards

Princy557
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by miguel-c »

1. What version of TextMaker Office do you have? The latest is 962.0418
2. What Windows version do you have?
Princy557

Post by Princy557 »

1. Anniversary 962.0418 64 bit
2. W 10 Pro 64 bit May 2019 update.

System is fully functioning with no known problems other than the Textmaker Templates.

Regards
Regards

Princy557
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by miguel-c »

You have the same versions as I do.
I just made an animated GIF of how I did it. Maybe you are doing something different...?
Also, when I clicked on File | New | More | Set default, I received a windows prompt to allow TextMaker to make changes to the windows registry (unfortunately the gif recording software didn't record it, as it is protected). Did you receive such warning and did you authorize it?
default template.gif
dbk

Post by dbk »

I am getting that prompt and am not happy that there is no explanation of what it is doing I answered no and it still seems to work.
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k »

dbk wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:06 am I am getting that prompt and am not happy that there is no explanation of what it is doing I answered no and it still seems to work.
When you ask TextMaker to set a new default template, it obviously needs to be change the registry so that Windows knows about it.

This is unrelated to what you have reported in the other thread and which I have answered there.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “TextMaker 2018 for Windows”