Too many .tmbak files

Paultx

Too many .tmbak files

Post by Paultx »

Not only that. The numbers indicate that the backups are not updated in single files, as usual with other apps.

And the screenshot shows two files only. I have many more.

I wonder how much this somewhat obvious bug takes in my disk space. And what for.
Desktop PC: Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit • Intel Core i7 • 12 GB RAM
Laptop PC: Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit • Intel Core i5 • 6 GB RAM
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Too many .tmbak files

Post by martin-k »

Why do you think this is a bug?

This is the multi-generational backup which implements our Versions feature. Versions let you go back to earlier versions of documents via File | Versions.

If you really are so scarce for disk space that these few MBytes hurt, go to File | Options | Files and reduce the number of backup files. I wouldn't turn backups off as you'd lose the ability to go back to older versions.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH
Paultx

Re: Too many .tmbak files

Post by Paultx »

martin-k wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:56 am Why do you think this is a bug?

This is the multi-generational backup which implements our Versions feature. Versions let you go back to earlier versions of documents via File | Versions.

If you really are so scarce for disk space that these few MBytes hurt, go to File | Options | Files and reduce the number of backup files. I wouldn't turn backups off as you'd lose the ability to go back to older versions.
I though it was a bug because I didn't know of this multi-generational backup and Versions stuff. Perhaps you should emphasize this feature when you present the suite, so users get aware of how important it this and don't mistakenly take it as a bug like me.

As to disk space, my old notebook's HD has only 500 GB and I work with text, images and videos, so I need to save the most space I can. Besides, it's not only about how many MB or GB, but also about how many files I have in my system, which impacts Windows' generally slow search and disk de/fragmentation and overall system performance.

Anyway, thanks for the tip. I have set all apps to 1 backup only, it's enough for me.
Desktop PC: Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit • Intel Core i7 • 12 GB RAM
Laptop PC: Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit • Intel Core i5 • 6 GB RAM

Return to “TextMaker 2018 for Windows”