Turning OFF spell & grammar checking in the current document

VLMin

Turning OFF spell & grammar checking in the current document

Post by VLMin »

Some documents contain so much jargon, so many abbreviations or shortcuts, and the like that having the spelling checker on just makes a bloody red screen. 8) 8)

In Word, one can turn off spelling and/or grammar checking in any document, and Word retains that setting thenceforth as a document property. Can this be done in TM, and if so, how, please?

Thank you!
RKanarek

Re: Turning OFF spell & grammar checking in the current document

Post by RKanarek »

Greetings,

I’m not an official SoftMaker’ian, so please forgive – and correct! – any errors or omissions. Also, I know you’re an avid manual reader, so please forgive me if I tell you something you already know.

Unsolicited Suggestions:
As an orthographically challenged person using a chiclet keyboard that makes more spelling mistakes than even I do, turning off spell checking seems rash if not reckless. Are you sure you wouldn’t do better by just adding the tricky words to the spell checker?

Disabling Spell Checking:
As I recall, there are two ways to disable spell checking. In no particular order, one method is to turn it off via the (classic GUI) Tools -> Options -> Language menu. This affects TextMaker, not the documents themselves, so spell checking will be off for every document until you turn spell checking back on. The other method is to use paragraph or character styles, or ad hoc formatting of paragraphs or characters, to declare the language of the document – or sections of the document, or individual words, etc. – as “no language,” which will disable both spell checking and hyphenation. This option obviously applies to and is saved with documents, but leaves TextMaker unaffected.

Note that styles are usually interrelated (see the “style” tab in the relevant menus) such that fiddling with one style can affect another, and so on.

There are several ways to employ the second method. If you find one you like, you can create a template for jargon filled documents and then produce them all the more easily.

Good luck!

Cordially,
Richard
VLMin

Re: Turning OFF spell & grammar checking in the current document

Post by VLMin »

Great idea, option #2. Thank you, Richard! I'll explore further.

Best to you!

Return to “TextMaker 2018 for Windows”