SoftMaker Equation Editor Issues

RKanarek

Re: SoftMaker Equation Editor Issues

Post by RKanarek »

Dear Mr. Leßmann,

Regarding your last post:
"If you want just uninstall SoftMaker equation editor, you have to unstall SoftMaker Office completely and then install it again (custom installation without the equation editor)."

Unless I'm mistaken, the custom installation option does not have an option that exclusively controls the installation of the SoftMaker Equation editor, hence again I find myself unable to execute your instructions.

Cordially,
Richard Kanarek

P.S. The attached screen captures were taken while I was manually installing SoftMaker Office 2018 Pro, version 938, over version 933 after 933's bug (see recent SM newsletter) prevented my updating SMO 2018 in the ordinary manner. I do not believe that the custom install options would have been different if I had attempted the install after first uninstalling SMO 2018, but I'm open to being corrected.
Attachments
2018-10-11_161225 - SMO 2018 938 Install.png
2018-10-11_161225 - SMO 2018 938 Install.png (11.59 KiB) Viewed 3333 times
The "Custom" option was selected.
The "Custom" option was selected.
2018-10-11_161048 - SMO 2018 938 Install.png (10.38 KiB) Viewed 3333 times
sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l »

I asked the developers and you are right. The option to deselect the equation editor is not available anymore in newer versions of SoftMaker Office. So, I guess the only way to use your own Mathtype eequation editor in SoftMaker Office is to use Insert => OLE object and then select your equation editor. Insert => Equation will always use the SoftMaker equation editor.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH
RKanarek

Post by RKanarek »

Greetings,

I found the solution to my problem: I gave up, and then ...

Review:
I replaced SMO 2016 Pro with SMO 2018 Pro on the theory that all versions of SMO are wonderful and that they just keep getting better and better. Sadly, SMO 2018 Pro proved “imperfect” (at least with its initial release), and some of its imperfections were an impediment to my use of SMO. I therefore reinstalled SMO 2016 Pro. The reinstall did not go smoothly, with the result that, among other issues, I lost the use of SEE (SoftMaker Equation Editor) in SMO. Interestingly, SEE worked elsewhere.
No amount installing, uninstalling, or fiddling seemed able to get SEE working in SMO again, so I gave up. I then proceeded to try other equation editor options.

Resolution:
I never found an equation editor that both my computer and I were happy with, and the process of installing possible replacement equation editors and uninstalling them (both with Windoze and a possibly unreliable uninstall utility) eventually buggered-up my laptop. Fortunately I had a (pre-SMO 2018 Pro) backup for my computer, and was able to return my computer to its January 2017 state. When installed on my rejuvenated computer, both SMO 2018 Pro and its equation editor worked.

Additional Conclusions:
1. Compared to its alternatives, TextMaker is wonderful! Not as wonderful as it could be, but more wonderful than its alternatives (AFAIK). Thanks!
2. The market for alternative equation editors is dreadful! Design Science, maker of SEE and Math Type, has recently switched to a pay-until-you-die (or they discontinue Math Type) subscriptions system, and the marked is hardly awash with alternatives.
Years ago, I used to insert equations into my (paper) documents by connecting my calculator to a label printer and (literally) pasting the equation labels in place. The resolution was pretty poor, but the system worked flawlessly. I shall have to reconsider it. ;-)
RKanarek

Post by RKanarek »

Dear Sven,

Thanks for the additional information. While it didn't address the (now resolved) issue of SEE working everywhere but in SMO (until I reloaded my computer's OS), it actually addresses an issue I had been thinking about. Gosh, you're good!

Perhaps the developers might want to consider putting the SEE option back in? And the ability to control what fonts if any are installed would be swell, too.

Return to “TextMaker 2018 for Windows”