Is it possible to compare two documents with Textmaker 2018?

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for TextMaker 2018 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

ecbritz

Is it possible to compare two documents with Textmaker 2018?

Post by ecbritz » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:36 am

With some word processors, two documents can be compared to see the differences, the changes made in a certain version of a document, etc. It's indispensable in some editing or investigative operations. How do I compare documents with Textmaker 2018?
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.

ecbritz

Re: Is it possible to compare two documents with Textmaker 2018?

Post by ecbritz » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:55 am

I see this function was already envisioned seven years ago, three versions of Textmaker ago, by sven-l on Fri Jun 11, 2010: "There's no 'compare' mode in TextMaker, the only method is to open both documents and view them side by side (Windows/Tile vertically). I will open a feature request for such a mode." Comparing documents side-by-side is very time-consuming and prone to human error. Can Textmaker 2018 compare documents?
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.

ecbritz

Post by ecbritz » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:42 pm

It is possible to "compare documents" with WordPerfect and with LibreOffice, the latter of course a free program. The question remains if a document, fixed after comparing it with another, near-similar document, and then saved with either WordPerfect or LibreOffice, is a clean, MS Word and Textmaker compatible document. I would appreciate a response to this problem very much.
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:42 am

There is no function available in TextMaker to compare two documents. You can open two documents at the same time but you have to manually compare.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

ecbritz

Post by ecbritz » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:49 am

I don't want to beat a dead horse. But for some users, "compare documents" is a fairly essential word processing tool.

An example: You send a lengthy document or book, more than 100 pages, to the publisher. The document is edited and proofread, then returned to you for approval. It is very important that you can see every single change made to paragraphs, sentences and words, everything added or deleted as well, because misunderstanding or a weakening of expression often results from the editing and proofreading process. It is done by language practitioners not always as knowledgeable or mature as yourself in your field.

"Compare documents" reveals and clearly marks every single change made to your document, in the blink of an eyelid. No reading or comparative inspection necessary. It can save days of your time.
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:37 pm

Nobody says we don't want to develop such a function. We just haven't had time yet.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

G.R.H

Post by G.R.H » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:58 pm

ecbritz wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:55 am
I see this function was already envisioned seven years ago, three versions of Textmaker ago, by sven-l on Fri Jun 11, 2010: "There's no 'compare' mode in TextMaker, the only method is to open both documents and view them side by side (Windows/Tile vertically). I will open a feature request for such a mode." Comparing documents side-by-side is very time-consuming and prone to human error. Can Textmaker 2018 compare documents?
martin-k wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:37 pm
Nobody says we don't want to develop such a function. We just haven't had time yet.
With regard to the quotes; I have to ask - how much time do you need? No body is calling the baby ugly, but surely any product has to be customer led; 'give the customers what they want' - no?

I would rather have a stable product that performed the core functions well (word processing, in this case) than continuous iterations that just look pretty and do things I have no real need for and are better done by other programs at my disposal.

Return to “TextMaker 2018 for Windows”