.BAK files

maali

.BAK files

Post by maali »

Your products are an excellent replacement for MSOffice but there are just two things that keep annoying me:
1) when you open a document, TextMaker (probably the other applications too) dump a .BAK file. It doesn't delete this .BAK file upon closing the application, which is really annoying when you keep documents on your desktop, as it gets polluted with those .BAK files. Is there a way to avoid this?
2) when you create a new document via the right-click context menu and then 'New' either in some folder or on the desktop... and then double-click that document, TextMaker starts a new 'Untitled' document instead of opening the document you just created.

hopefully in a future update these things can be fixed ;)

Cheers,
Maali
Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Re: .BAK files

Post by Jossi »

1) Go to Tools > Options, tab "Files", and you'll find the backup options at the bottom of the box. The default setting is "Simple Backup" (one .bak file per document in the document folder), but in the dropdown list you can choose either "No backup" or "Advanced backup" which gives you options to save backups to a different folder (e.g. a special folder created for backups only), to delete backups and to save more than one backup for each document.
2) That's correct. SoftMaker should have a look at this issue.
sierra95831

Post by sierra95831 »

The option described is not visible in the version of FreeOffice I recently downloaded (rev 944.1211).

The .bak files are so intrusive that I've decided to forego backups in order to avoid them. Not the best solution to a problem.
Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi »

The advanced backup options I described are only available in the full (paid) version of SoftMaker Office, not in FreeOffice.
eugenio

Post by eugenio »

how can I prevent softmaker freeoffice to create .bak files?
stascheit

Post by stascheit »

In the dialog box "Options", go to the "Files" tab.

You can open this dialog box
via the classic menu: Tools > Options
via the ribbon interface: File | Options

FreeOffice 21: Select No backups on the "Files" tab
FreeOffice 18: Disable Create backup files on the "Files" tab
Attachments
bak-files freeoffice.gif

Return to “TextMaker 2018 for Windows”