Musical flat symbol

Questions and answers about TextMaker 2018 for Windows
keithm

Musical flat symbol

Post by keithm » Sat May 23, 2020 1:36 pm

Hello, I am struggling to create a special character for the 'flat' symbol when I want to search for a chord structure.
The symbol dialogue will not let me search for the Unicode 266d or for the Alt code 9837.
I cannot find the flat symbol in any of the special character sets (though I can find the 'sharp' symbol in Misc Characters TNR.
When I hold alt and press the code in a Text Document, the character inserted is an empty rectangle. Similarly for the Unicode.
I have trawled the net and it all seems so simple!
What am I doing wrong?
Windows 10 up to date, Textmaker 2018 up to date.
KeithM

miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Musical flat symbol

Post by miguel-c » Sat May 23, 2020 9:18 pm

See attached files including the animation.

To insert the flat symbol:
1. change the font to Segoe UI
2. Type 266d and press ctrl+alt+shift+x

After that, you may select the symbol, copy it and paste it into the search box
Attachments
animation2.gif
flat.docx
(11.89 KiB) Downloaded 1 time

keithm

Post by keithm » Sun May 24, 2020 11:47 am

Miguel, thanks for your very prompt reply.
After more head scratching, I was able to follow the simple steps you set out, and I finally got a 'flat' symbol on a document.
For dunderheads like me, the key seems to be that before attempting any shortcut, a correct font must be selected, namely a 'UI' font.
Before my first post, I had read the TM2018 manual on this subject, and if I might offer an observation, page 147 might in a future rewrite be clarified. The highlighted note states the fact that 'the font' is not remembered. It might usefully add that for any of the keyboard shortcuts to work properly, a UI font must be selected. That thought might also be added into the paragraphs below on the same page, dealing with other forms of insertion shortcut.
Yours very gratefully, KeithM

miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by miguel-c » Sun May 24, 2020 12:07 pm

I made a feature suggestion to the product management so that the software automatically changes to a font that has the symbol.

Return to “TextMaker 2018 for Windows”