Is there a way to make the ribbon more compact vertically?

mohitkumar

Is there a way to make the ribbon more compact vertically?

Post by mohitkumar »

Please see these two screenshots. Red is Textmaker and Blue is MSFT Office 2016.
TM uses 7 notional rows whereas Word uses 5. Any way to make TextMaker ribbon 5 rows?
If not in 2018 can this be done in 2021?
TextMaker.png
Microsoft Word.png
If neither please take this as a feature request for the next update where this is possible!
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Is there a way to make the ribbon more compact vertically?

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for your suggestion with the screenshots. Ribbon interface for SoftMaker Office 2021 and for Word 2019 is actually taking the same space, the only minor difference is quick access toolbar which gives advantage to SoftMaker Office users to quickly access standard and customized commands. Please check the attached screenshot for your reference.

For more space, you can minimize the ribbon in SoftMaker Office using the arrow in the top right corner.
Ribbon SoftMaker Office.png
Woody44

Post by Woody44 »

If you want to make the commands more compact but still have them visible, change from the ribbon (curse you, Microsoft!) to the "Classic" menu. It's much more compact, yet always visible.
Woody44

Post by Woody44 »

SuperTech wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:31 pm Thanks for your suggestion with the screenshots. Ribbon interface for SoftMaker Office 2021 and for Word 2019 is actually taking the same space, the only minor difference is quick access toolbar which gives advantage to SoftMaker Office users to quickly access standard and customized commands. Please check the attached screenshot for your reference.
Word also has a quick access toolbar, but it's located above the tabs rather than below the ribbon. For what it's worth, the quick access toolbar in all the MS Office programs is far more customizable than the quick access toolbar in Softmaker Office. It would be nice if SoftMaker would move it up to where Microsoft has it, and add the ability to customize the commends.
mohitkumar

Post by mohitkumar »

Personally I love the ribbon concept! But I prefer to keep it compact. Thus I agree with Woody. Please make it possible to merge the tab bar and title bar in one. As I said earlier, if not possible in 2021, please take this as a feature request for next major upgrade. You will have a customer in me. Plus I will pay full retail since I will move this 2018 version license to my wife's PC (Hope that is allowed)!
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k »

This cannot really work. Word is able to merge the Quick access toolbar and the title bar because this toolbar usually only has a few icons. SoftMaker Office combines the Quick access toolbar and the document tabs for the open documents (which Microsoft Office does not have at all). Where should the document tabs go?
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH
mohitkumar

Post by mohitkumar »

OK I am not a UI expert and formatting powerpoint slides is my bread and butter! So here are my two options and I am just spitballing here. No commitments are expected considering I cannot guess if the engineering effort required makes it worth.

Option 1, Allow a user to move quick action buttons to title bar and hide tab bar completely assuming they are ok without tabs (and of course 'if' its possible to do so!)

Option 2, Move document tabs to title bar. and quick access button to left of the help button. See screenshot!
TM UI Options.png
Woody44

Post by Woody44 »

martin-k wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:08 pm This cannot really work. Word is able to merge the Quick access toolbar and the title bar because this toolbar usually only has a few icons. SoftMaker Office combines the Quick access toolbar and the document tabs for the open documents (which Microsoft Office does not have at all). Where should the document tabs go?
Simple -- right where they are now, but not combined with the quick access toolbar. And make the documents tabs bar optional. As an example, the Thunderbird e-mail client offers tabs. I have never found any use for them, so rather than always look at ONE tab wasting screen area, I researched how to turn off the display of the tabs. Softmaker Office should offer the same option to users, just as you offer the choice of a ribbon menu or the Classic menu. Move the quick access toolbar, and make the tabs optional. Most of us don't need them. If I have two documents open, I have them open in separate windows so I can copy and paste between them. Tabs don't help me at all.

Done.

P.S. Keep in mind, too, that on desktops most users (at least in the U.S.) are moving to dual (or even three) monitors -- in order to have multiple documents open in separate windows at the same time. Multiple screens make tabs even more useless.

Return to “SoftMaker Office 2018 for Windows (General)”