Cannot install OFfice to C after changing 2ndary HDD

fig4159

Cannot install OFfice to C after changing 2ndary HDD

Post by fig4159 »

Originally, I had 2 HDD's - C & D. D was short on space, so I installed a 3rd drive, E. Unfortunately, my case only has room for 2 - 3.5" drives, so I transferred everything from D to E and removed D from the system.

I want to install Office on C, but it insists on installing itself to D (which no longer exists!), and doesn't give me the option to change it.

I've uninstalled all previous installations, deleted all Softmaker folders, edited the Registry and rebooted countless times, to no avail.

I considered changed the E drive to D, but Windows says that might cause problems, but after spending the past 2 weeks moving data, folders and libraries, I really don't want to have to make any more changes.

I can't access any of my documents, and I really need to.
Please help! Running Windows 10 Home 64 bit V 2004 Build 19041.421

Thank you.
Julie
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Cannot install OFfice to C after changing 2ndary HDD

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for reporting this problem. After considering all the details you shared it seems you changed the location of Documents folder to D drive previously. As now, you don't have D drive, that's why you are neither able to find Documents folder nor able to install SoftMaker Office.

To solve this problem please follow these steps:
1. Open File Explorer.
2. Right-click on Documents and click on Properties > Location Tab
3. Either click on Restore default > Apply > Ok

or

In the Folder path space mention path of the folder in which you want to make your Documents folder.

After performing the above steps, please try to install the SoftMaker Office.
fig4159

Post by fig4159 »

I never said I could not find my Documents folder. What I SAID was (see paragraph 4 in OP) "after spending the past 2 weeks moving data, folders and libraries".

The fact that Softmaker may have previously been installed on (now non-existent) D should be irrelevant, considering that before removing the old drive from my system, I uninstalled all versions of the program, deleted all files and folders, edited the Registry and rebooted. THEN I tried, unsuccessfully, to install it to the programs partition on C.

Too bad I paid for this.

Since it will not allow me to choose where I want to install it, I'll have to find another alternative. I need to be able to ACCESS - not FIND - my files.
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k »

fig4159 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:34 am Originally, I had 2 HDD's - C & D. D was short on space, so I installed a 3rd drive, E. Unfortunately, my case only has room for 2 - 3.5" drives, so I transferred everything from D to E and removed D from the system.

I want to install Office on C, but it insists on installing itself to D (which no longer exists!), and doesn't give me the option to change it.

I've uninstalled all previous installations, deleted all Softmaker folders, edited the Registry and rebooted countless times, to no avail.

I considered changed the E drive to D, but Windows says that might cause problems, but after spending the past 2 weeks moving data, folders and libraries, I really don't want to have to make any more changes.

I can't access any of my documents, and I really need to.
Please help! Running Windows 10 Home 64 bit V 2004 Build 19041.421

Thank you.
Julie
When you run a default install of SoftMaker Office, it asks Windows for the Program Files folder and places SoftMaker Office there. Are you sure this is on drive D now? Or are you talking about the Documens folder in which SoftMaker Office places its documents and settings?

When you run a custom install, you can specify the installation folder in which SoftMaker Office will be installed. The documents and settings will still go to your Documents folder. (You would need to change it using Windows itself if you want it on a different drive).

Sorry to not be able to give you more help, but your description does not give all needed information. For example, I don't understand what the installation folder of SoftMaker Office has to do with your assertion that you "can't find your files". I have to guess again, but it seems you are talking about documents and not program files.

If my advice doesn't help, provide a more comprehensive description.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “SoftMaker Office 2018 for Windows (General)”