I bought the Softmaker Office Pro (first impressions)

PauloC

I bought the Softmaker Office Pro (first impressions)

Post by PauloC »

I've been using WPS free office suite for years, but I started to be fed up with all the ad boxes and intrusive installation procedures, so I tried Ashampoo free office just to discover that this one is a rebranded version of 2012 Softmaker Office. When I clicked the update or upgrade button (I don't remember the exact word), ended up in a promotion Softmaker webpage where you can buy the Pro version for €17 and the regular one for €14. And that's a really odd thing, because if you open the same page without the cookie, the values are much higher (?!). Well, I paid the €17 and downloaded the installer.
My first impressions are:
- The icons are just dated (not a important thing, but being a designer it's a bit irritating) :-)
- You can't import pdf files!! This is surprising when a lot of completely free suites offer thar capability (WPS and others).
- The three tools work great, tables and frames are correctly rendered and displayed on the right places.
- The layout is clean, functional, clean and intuitive.
- The installation is light and fast.

Conclusion: Not a bad piece of software but that pdf import issue is a bit ridiculous.
www.paulocorceiro.com
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: I bought the Softmaker Office Pro (first impressions)

Post by SuperTech »

Welcome to SoftMaker family and thanks for the feedback. You can use FlexiPDF to export PDF files to TextMaker.
PauloC

Post by PauloC »

FlexiPDF seems to be a wonderful tool but it's too expensive (€59.95) for something that I would use a dozen of times per year, and when you can use this for free: PDF 24

[EDIT: Removed the link. Don't link to competing products]
www.paulocorceiro.com
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k »

Paulo:

1. While you certainly discuss competing products here, we do not allow linking to them. I have edited your post accordingly.

2. I had a quick look at the software you mentioned. This free PDF editor does not allow text editing, and I think the high-quality text editing features are one of the highlights of FlexiPDF. If you want a limited PDF editor for free, you could try FreePDF from SoftMaker: https://getfreepdf.com
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH
PauloC

Post by PauloC »

Thank you and forgive me for my link :-)
www.paulocorceiro.com

Return to “SoftMaker Office 2018 for Windows (General)”