Wide spaces between words in justified text

newthings

Wide spaces between words in justified text

Post by newthings »

Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new at using TextMaker.
I have an imported RTF document with justified text.
How do I reduce the gap between words?
Can this be fixed for the whole document like in MS Word?
This is a book and I have a lot of paragraphs.
Any help will be appreciated.
Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Re: Wide spaces between words in justified text

Post by Jossi »

The proper way to avoid wide gaps between words is to use hyphenation.
G.R.H

Post by G.R.H »

I don't know what your purpose for this text is, but I would nuke the entire document in Notepad, or your plain text editor of choice - mine is Notepad++. This will clear any corruption and codes from the previous application and leave you with a clean text file. You can then open/import this into a word-processor of choice for editing. If you are going to create a publication from this file, may I suggest Serif PagePlus X9, which can be had for around £20 from their website. It is probably the best DTP program available at the moment - unless you can afford Adobe InDesign. After editing, nuke again before importing into the DTP.

Hope that helps some.
Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi »

Without knowing anything about the intentions of the thread opener or the kind of document he has in his hands, I see no reason why he should take a double detour through a text editor. When you make all non-printable characters visible in TextMaker (Tools > Options, Tab "View"), you can do all the cleaning up directly in TextMaker. Likewise, while you need a DTP program for professional work, many people write complete book manuscripts with TextMaker and export them as PDF for printing. So we can't be sure if there is a need for using a DTP application here at all.

If the thread opener got a RTF document containing hard line breaks, they can be replaced by blanks directly in TextMaker, too.
G.R.H

Post by G.R.H »

I don't suppose you can. Once you have used a DTP you realise how limited a word-processor is - you don't have to be a professional to appreciate that. You also understand that word-processors can leave code in the text that is a pain when importing into a DTP. Opening your document in a text editor is hardly difficult or time consuming, and what little time - a few minutes - is more than made up for in not trying to figure out what is wrong with your text in the DTP.

People may write their books in Textmaker - nothing wrong with that and good luck to them. No-one is calling your baby ugly, but a DTP like Serif PagePlus X9 is far superior for text and file handling than any word-processor. The 'book-facility' is one such instance - whereby each chapter is stored as a separate file and concatenated by the book-facility at export time. This feature makes adding and deleting pages a breeze, and saves the attendant work created by the knock-on effect of doing so in a single large file.
Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi »

I'm the last one to deny that a DTP program is far superior to any word processor for professional and demanding typographical tasks - I have worked long enough with QuarkXPress to know that. Still I don't see the need for using an additional text editor. Can you give me an example for code that can not be cleaned up in TextMaker?

Return to “SoftMaker Office 2018 for Windows (General)”