all pinned file links lost

TtheTA

all pinned file links lost

Post by TtheTA »

When the new software update was installed on my computer yesterday, the links to all of the files which had been previously used, either as pinned files or as recently opened files, were lost. This is very inconvenient for me. Does anybody know how to restore those links easily without searching throughout my entire drive to find them?

If not, how do I avoid this problem the next time?

If there is no solution to this problem, I will definitely be switching to another office-type application in the near future, before this happens to me again.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: all pinned file links lost

Post by martin-k »

Reinstalling or updating SoftMaker Office 2018 does not remove pinned files. They are all stored in My Documents\SoftMaker\Settings\tmw18config.ini etc. and these files are not affected by any updating or reinstallation.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH
TtheTA

Post by TtheTA »

thank you for the prompt reply, Martin!

After doing some further analysis, I find that all of my pinned TextMaker files are still pinned and my recent files are still available, just as you suggest they should be.

My initial note was sent after opening PlanMaker this morning. It was also PlanMaker that I was opening at the time I received the message from SoftMaker that I should install update 971. After the update, I did try closing PlanMaker and reopening it. The dropdown menu simply said (no recent files) each time. Since then, I did find 3 of my frequently used files, and now the only files showing are those three.

Meanwhile, with respect to your reply, I do see the tmw18config folders including one tmwfo18config which was timestamped at about the time I was updating PlanMaker. I'm going to guess that the tm refers to TextMaker and that would explain why I can see my TextMaker files.

I also see similar files beginning with pm and also some with pr. I presume those relate to PlanMaker. However, the only one that is timestamped today is from just a few minutes ago and I presume it has only the three files noted above. The only older files were saved in February, March and April. Is there a way to ask PlanMaker to use one of those files instead of the latest one? That won't help me recover files I created recently, but at least would give me clues as to where some of my older files might be hiding.

Thanks again in advance!
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by miguel-c »

Hi, you can open those .INI files in notepad and search for your file locations there.
Example:
[tmw History]
RecentFilesPinned=0
HistoryFile0=0,0,M:\Downloads\T07-SLA-record - WEEK 3 no link.docx
HistoryFile1=0,0,M:\Downloads\T07-SLA-record - WEEK 3 no link 97-2003.doc
HistoryFile2=0,0,M:\Downloads\VarInKopFuszzeile (1).tmdx
HistoryFile3=0,0,M:\Downloads\VarInKopFuszzeile.tmdx
HistoryFile4=0,0,M:\Downloads\group.tmdx
HistoryFile5=0,0,M:\Downloads\0926_HdJ_Klappers_ab3.tmd
HistoryFile6=0,0,M:\Downloads\Druckproblem.tmdx
RecentTemplatesPinned=1
TemplateFile0=M:\Miguel\SoftMaker\English\Normal.tmvx
HistoryFile7=0,0,M:\Downloads\FontChanging.docx
HistoryFile8=0,0,M:\Downloads\FontChanging2.docx
HistoryFile9=0,0,M:\Downloads\RTF_Temp_SCID_45 (1).rtf
[Ignore]
MW1

Post by MW1 »

Contrary to the claim that nothing is wiped I have experienced this Twice. I checked pmw18config.ini and that's been wiped too. Great program, but this is a seriously annoying problem. Rather than claiming it does not happen A) tell me how to recover and B) fix it.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

You are rescuscitating a four-year old discussion about SoftMaker Office 2018, but your latest version is SoftMaker Office 2021. Its config file is ofw21config.ini, not ofw18config.ini.

Please explain in more detail what you did, and with which version.

Return to “SoftMaker Office 2018 for Windows (General)”