Documents\SoftMaker folder issue with multi-user machine

EricC

Documents\SoftMaker folder issue with multi-user machine

Post by EricC »

Here’s an issue I have encountered with SMO2018 (doesn’t matter which revision) but keep forgetting to report.
Scenario:
1. Install SMO2018.
2. As the person who installed SMO2018, launch TextMaker, enter serial number, etc.
3. Open the Documents\SoftMaker folder. You will see normal contents.
4. Logon as a different user and have them launch TextMaker.
5. Open the Documents\SoftMaker folder. Instead of seeing the normal contents, all you get is a Settings folder.
Running W10 (1903 - but the problem will be present on previous W10 releases).

SMO2016 worked as expected where each user got template, bullets, etc.

Thanks,
-Eric
Attachments
Profile2.png
Profile1-PersonWhoInstalledSMO.png
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Documents\SoftMaker folder issue with multi-user machine

Post by miguel-c »

SMO2016 had an auto-installer, but it had some issues, so it is currently disabled in SMO2018.

You should either install SMO2018 again for that user, or copy the contents of the Documents\SoftMaker folder into the new user's Documents (except for the settings folder).
EricC

Post by EricC »

Hi Miguel,

Is there a plan to fix this issue? I did the Documents\SoftMaker folder copy when setting up my parent's new machine. However, neither alternative is practical.

Thanks,
-Eric
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by miguel-c »

I will discuss this with the developers. But just manually copying a folder to a new user is not really hard.
EricC

Post by EricC »

Hi Miguel,

With all due respect, you are missing the point. It does not matter whether copying the files is hard or not. I should not have to copy the files in the first place. Copying the files to (4) different profiles to have SMO work properly does not make sense.

While I do not believe it was your intent, you should know the response: "But just manually copying a folder to a new user is not really hard." comes across as flippant.

A possible alternative to your response:

"Unfortunately the options presented earlier are you best choices right now. I will discuss this issue with the developers and get back to you."

A response along those lines will go over much better with customers than "But just manually copying a folder to a new user is not really hard."

Thanks,
-Eric

Return to “SoftMaker Office 2018 for Windows (General)”