Back to Softmaker Office 2018 after long break

JSR

Back to Softmaker Office 2018 after long break

Post by JSR »

It's been many years since the days when I was a huge advocate of Softmaker Office (beginning when I ran it on my H/PC Jornada 720 - and that still works today). My last post here was about 4 years ago.

I moved back to Microsoft Office for a number of reasons, but the main one was price. I'm not saying that Softmaker Office loses out on price (although that could be argued), but Dropbox did. I used to run Softmaker Office and Dropbox, until I realised that Office 365 gave me more cloud storage than Dropbox and I got Microsoft Office into the bargain.

I'm not a fan of the subscription model but, if I'm going down that path, then I may as well stick with MS Office for the same reason - cloud storage plus Office suite on all my platforms (Windows/Mac/iPhone/iPad), for less than £50 a year. There's no reason not to. My use of Softmaker dropped as a consequence.

So, why am I posting? Because I've finally upgraded my Softmaker Office 2012 to Softmaker Office 2018 (on my Windows PC only - I don't see myself paying again to have it on my Mac). I don't want another subscription model, but when I fired up Softmaker Office 2012 and clicked the update, the offer of £23.99 for Softmaker Officer 2018 Professional was enough to trigger a purchase from me. I would have added the physical CD to the purchase, but clicking the box threw up some "cross-site clicking" warning, so I decided that the download purchase was enough.

I look forward to seeing what's changed in Softmaker Office over the last several years. It's not going to replace my Microsoft Office because I'm not going to stop using Microsoft Office, but I do like being able to install Softmaker Office on my USB stick for ultimate portability - and, on that issue at least, Softmaker beats Microsoft.
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Back to Softmaker Office 2018 after long break

Post by miguel-c »

Hi, JSR, welcome back! :)

Return to “SoftMaker Office 2018 for Windows (General)”