Best recommended file format

JezShed

Best recommended file format

Post by JezShed »

Hi all,

Is there an official view on the best file format to save documents in when using TextMaker and PlanMaker?

As I've bought SoftMaker Office since 2008 then I'm happy to keep using the native TMD(and TMDX) and PMD(and PMDX) formats, but I see that SoftMaker is now advertised as using DOCX and XLSX by default. Apart from the differences in portability (to people who don't use SoftMaker Office), are there any pros or cons to using DOCX vs PMDX for example?

Many thanks,

Jez
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Best recommended file format

Post by miguel-c »

Both formats are fine, but tmdx supports some features that docx doesn't.
JezShed

Post by JezShed »

Thanks Miguel, that's good to know. I shall continue to use TMDX and PMDX as my default formats.

As a matter of interest, are any warnings given if I save my native TMDX document as a DOCX if some features in the file will be lost?

Regards,

Jez
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by miguel-c »

No, there are no warnings.
JezShed

Post by JezShed »

miguel-c wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:21 pm Both formats are fine, but tmdx supports some features that docx doesn't.
Thanks Miguel. So if the software doesn't warn of any possible features that are lost in one format or another, is there is comparison table of features anywhere that lists all the features of the different file types so that I can be confident that anything important isn't lost or significantly changed if I save in a certain format for the purpose to sending to someone?
I hope that poor sentance makes sense!
Thanks for your help.
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by miguel-c »

We don't have such a comparison table. But the differences are really minor, such as that TextMaker allows multiple columns inside a text frame, whereas Word doesn't.

Return to “SoftMaker Office 2018 for Windows (General)”