Suggestion: add Rename to File menu

Paultx

Suggestion: add Rename to File menu

Post by Paultx »

I remember the old times when I used Word for DOS and it had the option to rename files. After all these years I wonder why this very handful option was removed and never returned.

So my suggestion is: add Rename to the File menu of all SoftMaker Office applications.
Desktop PC: Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit • Intel Core i7 • 12 GB RAM
Laptop PC: Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit • Intel Core i5 • 6 GB RAM
sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Suggestion: add Rename to File menu

Post by sven-l »

You can rename files directly in the Windows file explorer.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH
Paultx

Post by Paultx »

sven-l wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:00 am You can rename files directly in the Windows file explorer.
I know that!

But consider this: I create a document in TextMaker, save it with a given name, but at some point and for some reason I decide to change its name while still working at it. I'll have to:

1 - Close de document
2 - Open Explorer
3 - Rename the document
4 - Open the now renamed document

Why not avoid these steps and do the thing right from the app?

Just to give you two examples: first, take IrfanView. The guy who develops it had the brilliant idea of, besides offering the option to rename the files, assigning the F2 key to the command, so Windows users will feel at home.

The other example is EditPad Lite, a great alternative to Windows Notepad. The developers not only gave users the option to rename but also to MOVE the file, that is, change its name and path at the same time.

My suggestions here are for you to improve your products and make a better user experience. Which I think might make people like them more and spread the word about them, so more people may like them and... you get the picture. Not to mention being ahead of competition.

But you are the developers and of course you have the right to make your applications the way you want and see best fit. I am only a user trying to help.
sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l »

I will refer your suggestion to the product management.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH
Paultx

Post by Paultx »

Yesterday I discovered that it's possible to rename a file with the File Manager, which is very useful for its other tasks as well. =D>

tmfm.png

However I would love to have the single Rename command, to which I could assign a keyboard shortcut to make things even faster. :D

Return to “SoftMaker Office 2018 for Windows (General)”