Service pack 936 (win) won"t install

kamikun

Service pack 936 (win) won"t install

Post by kamikun »

My installation of SmO 2018 recognizes that there is a new service pack and asks if I want to download it. When clicking "Yes", windows User Account controller asks if I want to allow SoftMaker Updater to make changes, agree, and the Updater says "Connecting..." and immediately another window appears on top saying "All files are up to date." Click OK and the Updater closes.
No changes have been made.
Go back to "check for updates" and again the program asks if I want to download the new service pack, and again it fails to download.

I have SmO on different computers - it installed on one but refuses to install on the other.

What am I doing wrong?

thanks
Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Re: Service pack 936 (win) won"t install

Post by Jossi »

Exactly the same here.
SMO 2021 rev. 1026.0116 32bit on Win 10 Pro 1909 in Parallels Desktop VM on Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6
Mac Mini Intel Core i7 4x2,3 GHz, 16 GB RAM (2 cores and 8 GB RAM for Windows)
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k »

It could be that the automatic updater already tried to install it silently, but couldn't because one of the SoftMaker Office applications was running. If that is the case, log out from Windows and log in again to kick off the install.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH
Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi »

Restarted Windows twice. Didn't make any difference.
kamikun

Post by kamikun »

Same here also. Restarted multiple times and the pattern still repeats.

Can we download the update as a standalone install??
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k »

It is already downloaded. Run it interactively and let us know what messages appear.

32 bit: c:\Program Files (x86)\SoftMaker Office 2018\servicepack18_32.exe
64 bit: c:\Program Files\SoftMaker Office 2018\servicepack18_64.exe

But before you do that, run one of the SoftMaker Office applications, go to ? | About and tell us the revision shown there.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH
Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi »

Version is TextMaker Professional 2018 (rev 933 0620) 32 bit.
In the location you named there are only servicepack 1832_931.exe and servicepack 1832_933.exe.

I know I'm rapidly becoming a grumpy old man, but the manual installation of servicepacks as before was by far less problematic.
kamikun

Post by kamikun »

I can confirm the same... there is no 936 update exe file in that location. The same old exe's are in the directory though.
Showing the same version number in the program too.
kamikun

Post by kamikun »

OK, FWIW - here's a brute force workaround if you have the option. Noticed that the only installation that installed normally was the 64-bit one. So I simply downloaded the 64-bit trial versions and installed them over the 32-bit ones. All installations show ver 936 now and seem to be working. (Here's hoping that the 64-bit version will do away with some of the constant bugs I have been having with Presentations while using an external monitor (animations not working, the program popping up over the slide show, etc.))
sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l »

You cannot use a 64bit Service Pack to update an 32bit installation of SoftMaker Office. This will always result in an error message. It seems that you have both versions installed: SoftMaker Office 2018 32bit and 64bit. You can check if there is an SoftMaker installation folder in C:\Program Files (x86) for the 32bit version and another one in C:\Program Files for the 64bit version.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH
kamikun

Post by kamikun »

Sven: OK, thanks for the heads up. I did simply install the 64bit trial version on my machines. They recognized my license and were good to go. If the 32bit program is still there I will delete it.
OT : the 64 bit version seems a lot more 'stable' than the 32 bit one, at least with Presentations. I have not had the random hangs or the application popping up during a slide show (all of this was with an external monitor... on the laptop it worked fine). But I've only been using it for a couple of days.

Return to “SoftMaker Office 2018 for Windows (General)”