Formula's - Can we choose cels by highlighting (like in excel)?

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for FreeOffice PlanMaker 2016 for Windows

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

clifford949

Formula's - Can we choose cels by highlighting (like in excel)?

Post by clifford949 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:20 pm

Here is how I made a formula in MS Excel;
1. Click in the cel I want the answer to appear.
2. Depress Formula Icon, choose either Sum or Average.
3. Use mouse to highlight the cels I want to use in the formula.
So easy

What's happening to me in Plan Maker (free);
1. I have no choice where answer goes. It decides for me which cels to include, usually by which ones are vertically closest.
So if I have a grid of numbers and want the sum underneath I can't sum/average a row.
2. We don't seem to have the functionality of highlighting the desired cels with our mouse (bummer)?
3. I have a work around that is better than nothing but only helps in some cases. Highlight cels first, ending where you desire the answer. Then click the formula icon. This isn't workable all the time though as when I am trying to get an answer in the column next to the one I'm trying to add.
4. The only way to get what I want, where I want is to depress Formula and manually type in cel location.

If I have to manually enter cel location to be able to have my answer where I want it instead of where the software thinks it should go I will be finding a replacement real soon. I'm hoping I'm doing something wrong. What do you'all think. How can I replicate Excels formula capability (without using Excel). :?: :(

Thanks

~Clifford

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Formula's - Can we choose cels by highlighting (like in excel)?

Post by sven-l » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:42 am

You can use the autosum icon in the ribbons. Just select the cell under the cells you want to sum up and click on it. The result will appear in the selected cell.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

clifford949

Post by clifford949 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:31 pm

I really don't think you read my details. Your answer is not specific enough to my goal. I am using the icon.

- The software seems to only allow the sum to go directly under or next to the input.
- I need to be able to have the sum appear in a different part of the sheet that is NOT near the inputs.

This is possible in Excel, WPS and Libre just not Softmaker.
I have switched to WPS but would probably switch back to Softmaker if I could get this significant issue resolved.

Thanks

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:47 pm

When you click AutoSum, PlanMaker automatically determines a suitable cell range. This is above the cell where you are doing the summing.

What you are looking for instead is done using Insert > Function, selecting the SUM function from the list and then selecting the cell range.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

clifford949

Post by clifford949 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:43 pm

So this does solve my problem, thanks. But...it's not as easy as what I've come accustom to, using the Formula Icon to accomplish the same thing.

This is more key strokes, then move the dialog box (it's always in the way of the desired cels), then answer. I'll switch back (there are other things I prefer about your software over WPS) to Plan maker and see if I can live with it.

Request/Suggestion; Allow this to happen using the Formula Icon. A quick check will prove that all the other major spread sheets do this.

Thanks, much appreciated.

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:25 pm

With PlanMaker:

1. Enter 1, 2, 3 in adjacent cells.
2. Go to an empty place in the worksheet, with no cells with data above or left.
3. Click AutoSum
-> you see =SUM(), with the caret flashing between the parentheses.
4. Now select the range you want to sum, press Enter.

As far as I can see, PlanMaker's behavior with AutoSum is identical to Excel. If you see differences, please detail them.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

clifford949

Post by clifford949 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:07 pm

Martin

Thank you for helping.

"4. Now select the range you want to sum, press Enter."
Not sure how your stating I'm to enter the range. My goal is to use the mouse to highlight the range. This still does not work for me (unless I use the insert method) with Autosum. If you mean I should manually type in the range I have been doing that (until I learned the above described "insert" method) and that is not what I'm after. Gotta be able to use the mouse to highlight desired range.

You can read in my original post what my goal is and what is happening.

**** Good news, based on your input I have discovered an improvement I can live with****

Your suggestion works but you left out one step. You must delete the range that is automatically put in the desired cel. Then proceed by highlighting the desired range with the mouse. That works.

So...IMHO there is a minor programming flaw. In Excel a range appears (after depressing autosum) as well. BUT....when you highlight desired range with mouse the new chosen range replaces the given range. With Planmaker it does not. We have to manually delete the range first. No bueno.

Thanks for leading me to a livable solution.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:25 am

I will report that minor issue to the developers.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

clifford949

Post by clifford949 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:30 pm

sven-l wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:25 am
I will report that minor issue to the developers.
Perfect Thanks!

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:02 am

clifford949 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:07 pm

So...IMHO there is a minor programming flaw. In Excel a range appears (after depressing autosum) as well. BUT....when you highlight desired range with mouse the new chosen range replaces the given range. With Planmaker it does not. We have to manually delete the range first. No bueno.

Thanks for leading me to a livable solution.
This should work much better with the next service pack.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “FreeOffice PlanMaker 2016 for Windows”