TextMaker doesn't save

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for FreeOffice TextMaker 2016 for Windows

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

dunican

TextMaker doesn't save

Post by dunican » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:44 am

Hi,

on pressing Ctrl+S, it looks like it saves but it doen't. I lost all I'd written yesterday. Win7 64bit. Reverted to the previous version of TextMaker.

Adam

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: TextMaker doesn't save

Post by sven-l » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:21 pm

We can confirm the issue (it happens only with .doc files, not with .tmd files). I will inform the developers and report here as soon as we have a solution.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

cross-gleam

Post by cross-gleam » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:34 pm

A temporary solution to this problem is save as ... :(

krisman

Post by krisman » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:01 pm

We can confirm the issue (it happens only with .doc files, not with .tmd files). I will inform the developers and report here as soon as we have a solution.
The information in Sven's comments does not match my experience - in fact I have the opposite problem in that if I open a .tmd file in TextMaker, edit it and then try to save it, I get the error message "Unable to create file". I can use 'Save as' and use a different file name as cross-gleam states or I can save it as a .doc file and keep the original file name.

In exploring the problem I have found the following:
i) an edited .tmd file will not save under its original file name into the original location;
ii) an edited .tmd file will save as a .tmd file into the original location if it is given a new file name;
iii) an edited .tmd file will save in the original location keeping its original file name but with a .doc extension;
iv) a .doc file saved after editing a .tmd file and then re-edited as a .doc file, will not save with a .tmd extension unless the original file name is changed or the original .tmd file is deleted/moved to another folder;
v) edited .doc files can be saved with the original name and extension into the original location.

So, in my experience in just a few days of using Softmaker FreeOffice 2016, the main problem I have experienced is that .tmd files cannot be edited and saved under the same file name and extension in the original location whereas there is no problem with the .doc file format.

P.S. I am using Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:15 am

The issue has been solved. Please download and install FreeOffice again. Afterwards you are able to save in .doc format.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

krisman

Post by krisman » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:23 pm

Hi,

I did not have a problem with .doc files and was able to save them with their original file names back into the original location after editing. However I did have a problem with .tmd files as I outlined in my previous post.

I took Sven's advice and downloaded FreeOffice 2016 again. Uninstalled the previous installation and installed afresh from the newly downloaded installer. Unfortunately the bug affecting .tmd files remains exactly as before.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:33 pm

That is strange as a lot of customers reported issues with saving .doc files (an issue that we now have solved) but only you seem to have the same issue with .tmd files. Does tthat happen with every .tmd file in absolutely every folder or just with specific ones? I was not able to reproduce that issue here with Windows 7 64bit and FreeOffice 2016 TextMaker.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

krisman

Post by krisman » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:17 pm

Hi Sven,

Thanks for getting back over this issue - it is indeed strange.

I've carried out several tests and always, if I try to save an edited .tmd back to its original location, keeping its original name and extension, it fails and I get the error message "Unable to create file". When I use the 'Save As' routine and change the filename and/or the extension, I can save the file. Likewise, if I change the location for the saved file the save is successful but this would give me two files with identical names and extensions which could be problematic. Regarding the question does this happen in every folder, it happens in every folder I have tried so far.

As I stated in the previous post, I've never had a similar problem with the .doc format files which was reported by other users.

I am using Windows 7 SP1 but my system is 32bit.

I hope this helps. I still have Softmaker 2012 Standard Edition which I will keep hold of until this problem is sorted.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:43 am

I will refer this to our developers. Please try again with the next update as soon as it is available.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

krisman

Post by krisman » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:50 pm

Hi Sven,

Thanks for your efforts.

At least I can work around the problem but I'd be very pleased if your developers solve the mystery.

krisman

Post by krisman » Fri May 13, 2016 7:43 pm

Hi,

I've now upgraded from SoftMaker FreeOffice 2016 to the standard edition 2016 suite. Although the problem still existed with TextMaker in the FreeOffice suite it does not occur in the standard edition.

Probably best not to claim the problem is resolved because others using FreeOffice may come across it but, for me, there is no more problem.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Tue May 17, 2016 9:03 am

This issue has been solved and will no longer occur with the next revision of FreeOffice.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “FreeOffice TextMaker 2016 for Windows”