Windows 10 OneDrive

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for FreeOffice TextMaker 2016 for Windows

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

JerriNicci

Windows 10 OneDrive

Post by JerriNicci » Fri May 11, 2018 5:10 am

FreeOffice seems to think folder in Documents must be the OneDrive Documents folder. Problem is, I have a game that won't run correctly with OneDrive, so I keep OneDrive disabled and a dummy file in place to prevent the OneDrive folder from regenerating. Is there a way to get FreeOffice to create/recognize its Documents folder in my user Documents?

Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Re: Windows 10 OneDrive

Post by Jossi » Fri May 11, 2018 10:02 am

IIRC FreeOffice always suggests the last used folder to save, not a fixed one. If this doesn't work for you I recommend making use of the Quick Path function. It allows to define fixed locations to open from and save to which can be reached by a single click.

JerriNicci

Post by JerriNicci » Fri May 11, 2018 7:32 pm

What is the Quick Path function? And the problem is the document folder that contains my settings. It wouldn't even let me finish installing without removing the dummy folder so I could regenerate the OneDrive folder. If I move the SoftMaker folder from .../MYNAME/OneDrive/DOCUMENTS to .../MYNAME/DOCUMENTS, it simply regenerates a fresh folder in OneDrive.

If I put my dummy OneDrive file in place to prevent regeneration of the OneDrive folder, it tries to refer to the AppData folder. (Which I figured out when the AutoSave failed due to permissions error.) I am unable to save if I start with a blank document. I can only Save or Save As previously created documents. Every time I open a SoftMaker program, it acts like the first time, with all my settings reverted and asking for my User Info again.

Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi » Fri May 11, 2018 9:06 pm

Well, obviously something has gone wrong with your settings. You should uninstall FreeOffice completely, delete all folders named "SoftMaker" and try a clean new installation to your hard drive. By default, all FreeOffice settings are in a folder named "SoftMaker" located at C:/Users/<MYNAME>/Documents/SoftMaker. So I can't see a reason why FreeOffice should touch your OneDrive at all in the first place (unless you tampered with your documents folder).

JerriNicci

Post by JerriNicci » Sat May 12, 2018 12:49 am

Everything is going to OneDrive because everything from every single program has been going to OneDrive since I got the computer (so, no. Not the result of tampering). FreeOffice was one of the first programs I installed. It worked fine (didn't know about the Softmaker folder being in OneDrive until later). Then, there was the mess of that other program (Sims 3) that refused to work properly until I disabled OneDrive. When I got rid of the OneDrive folder, I realized there were problems with FreeOffice. I completely uninstalled, and tried to reinstall with OneDrive disabled, but it kept aborting the install every time because it said it was unable to create the OneDrive folder. I spent a week trying various things on the web to stop Windows 10 from defaulting to the OneDrive version of the Documents folder, with limited success. I found quite a few places around the web dealing with Windows 10's insistent use of OneDrive instead of the proper folders elsewhere for Documents, Pictures, etc., so I was actually surprised that apparently few people report similar issues on these forums.

I would not be surprised to hear that many Windows 10 users have no problems with Softmaker and have no idea that its Documents folder is in OneDrive, especially since for the average user, Windows 10 does a great job of hiding the fact that there are multiple Documents folders. Mine works fine in OneDrive, and I would be fine just leaving it in OneDrive, if I didn't have problems with Sims 3 and OneDrive.

If there is no answer to making FreeOffice stop trying to use OneDrive, I'll just have to temporarily move or rename the OneDrive folder and block OneDrive again each time I want to play my Sims 3, and return it when I'm done playing.

Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi » Sat May 12, 2018 11:00 am

When everything is going to OneDrive from every single program, it's not a specific problem of FreeOffice but has something to do with your Windows 10 settings. As I have disabled OneDrive completely in my Win10 installation and I'm not Windows-savvy enough to clear up this issue, I'm afraid I can't be a great help in this case.

Return to “FreeOffice TextMaker 2016 for Windows”