Narrow text spacing default?

Post here those questions, bug reports and suggestions for SoftMaker FreeOffice 2016 for Windows that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

technoid

Narrow text spacing default?

Post by technoid » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:42 am

Hello, new here. I installed FreeOffice 2016 rev 767.0516. Everything looks ok, but when I type in text (or open a file), the default text spacing (i.e. the space between letters) is very narrow, compared to other office suites. Actually there is no spacing at all, the letters run into each other, they are touching. It does not matter what font is used. This is happening in Textmaker, Planmaker & Presentations.

The only way I can change this is I go into the menu: Format | Character Formatting | Spacing | Spacing Between Characters,

and increase the number over 100%. About 140-150% looks about right. Also, when I save the document (after changing the spacing) and re-open it, the spacing percentage number changes, e.g. it's not 140%, it changed to 125% by itself, etc.

Anyway, this text spacing does not look normal. Am I correct? What is wrong?

I am running this on Windows 7 Home Premium, Intel i5 CPU.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Narrow text spacing default?

Post by sven-l » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:53 am

Are you using a text-only printer driver? Does it help if you change the default printer driver? Could you please send us a screenshot of the effect?
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

technoid

Re: Narrow text spacing default?

Post by technoid » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:41 pm

sven-l wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:53 am
Are you using a text-only printer driver? Does it help if you change the default printer driver? Could you please send us a screenshot of the effect?
Hello, I think you are correct, thank you. My printer was defaulted to an impact (dotmatrix) printer, i.e. the Epson LQ-570e (yes I still have many impact printers). When I changed to one of my laser printer drivers, the letter spacing immediately increased to "normal". When I changed back to the LQ-570e it returned to the squished spacing.

Then I tried other printer drivers... Another impact driver had no effect, it stayed at normal spacing. Then another impact driver changed letter spacing WIDER than normal. Then I changed to "Generic / Text Only" driver (good for sending printout to file) and the letters became TINIER.

The letter spacing stayed "normal" if I change to any laser or inkjet. I did not try them all but that seems to be the pattern.

So is this in the documentation? Why does Free/Soft Office do this? Other office suites and Wordpad/Notepad does not change letter spacing if I change to a dotmatrix driver, or any driver. I would recommend your programming team change this so that letter spacing is normal and the same no matter what print driver is currently set to. It can be confusing to new people to your office suite, just like me. If you still need a screenshot, let me know. Also note that I have not printed anything as of yet, so that remains to be seen, everything so far is just happening onscreen. :)

Return to “SoftMaker FreeOffice 2016 for Windows (General)”