Requests. Full Screen / no internet required. Basicmaker.

Post here those questions, bug reports and suggestions for SoftMaker FreeOffice 2016 for Windows that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

anewuser

Requests. Full Screen / no internet required. Basicmaker.

Post by anewuser » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:11 pm

Hello. I'm very thankful for your software. It has helped a lot during my hdd crashes and on linux enviroments since at least 2014 with freeoffice 2012. In particular the ability to use live cds as a base for your software. Puppylinux in particular.

I generalize the FO2016 behavior is the same in linux or windows so my requests go to both.

Two changes I noticed while the transition from FO2012 to FO2016 was the lack of full screen support and required internet connection for online registration. A bumper.

1. Please bring back full screen support to freeoffice. It might not be a huge deal for users with big screen, but consider netbook/atom users whose screen are small small, small.

2. Please remove the need for an internet registration process to use the program fully while in freeoffice. It is a fullstop to using the program because if you have no internet you simply can't test what you'll use (driving potential users away before testing the waters and compatibility) And instead will try other programs or older versions of FO. Why would users need to register to test software? I'm sure it helps you measure how much usage/downloads your software is getting but I can't see the entire rationale of those design choices but which in either case hurt my possibilities to use the software.

3. Can users of freeoffice get basic basicmaker scripting?

Congratulations to the entire team.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Requests. Full Screen / no internet required. Basicmaker.

Post by sven-l » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:31 pm

BasicMaker is not available in FreeOffice. You would need SoftMaker Office Standard or Professional in order to use it.

I will refer your suggestions to the developers.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Patrick

Re: Requests. Full Screen / no internet required. Basicmaker.

Post by Patrick » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:34 pm

2. Please remove the need for an internet registration process to use the program fully while in freeoffice. It is a fullstop to using the program because if you have no internet you simply can't test what you'll use (driving potential users away before testing the waters and compatibility) And instead will try other programs or older versions of FO. Why would users need to register to test software? I'm sure it helps you measure how much usage/downloads your software is getting but I can't see the entire rationale of those design choices but which in either case hurt my possibilities to use the software.
The above is one of the main reasons I stopped using SMO 2016. I still use 2012 (paid for) occasionally. In fact I bought SMO 2016 but got a refund. Every now and then I check back here to see if they have come to their senses and removed that awful online registration baloney but I see it hasn't happened yet. Since I mostly use a word processor but refuse to succumb to MS Office's behemoth 1.5gb install, I have been using Atlantis Word Processor instead. It does not have all the MS Word features but then again it has many unique features of its own and does have .doc and .docx support. Plus it's like 4mb installed and can be made portable. In my experience companies who have been or are on the right track also have a seemingly unlimited talent for messing up their own products. Like SoftMaker, they provided the portable option for their suite but then impose requirement for online activation, completely undoing many scenarios of using their software. Why even require registration on a free product at all? And why have people pay for limitations to the paid versions? So it affects both free and paid for suites, thus I won't use them anymore. When software makers go for their own ease (not having to deal with registration issues -- or so is their argument in paid versions) or they just think "90% of people don't care" then it's time to move on in my experience. Only arrogant (or overly powerful) companies like MS can get away with that, smaller companies will sooner or later see their user base dwindle. But who cares, right? What SoftMaker has done here is make a very nice dish, with just the right amount of salt, herbs, and spices... and has then dumped an ash tray onto the dish. I'm not eating it!
Image SoftMaker Office Pro 2012 Rev. 702 User

Return to “SoftMaker FreeOffice 2016 for Windows (General)”