I'm looking for a font ...

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for SoftMaker fonts.
Woody44

I'm looking for a font ...

Post by Woody44 »

If someone can head me in the correct direction I would appreciate it. I need a fairly classic font, to be used in creating a mock-up (NOT a forgery, thank you) of an old document from around 1750 to 1800. The heading uses a word with a double 's' ("assess"), and the first 's' is stylized (as they did in those days) to look more like what we currently use for a lower case 'f' -- but without the crossbar.

Fonts such as Garamond and Baskerville have the general appearance I want, in italics, but they don't have that stylized 's'. Are there any similar fonts in the MegaFont collection that have such archaic alternate letter forms?
lgsl

Re: I'm looking for a font ...

Post by lgsl »

Could you share an image of this document you want to recreate as a mock-up? It would be of help.
Woody44

Post by Woody44 »

I don't have an image of what I'm working with, but the same double 's' combination appears in the U.S. Constitution, as in this image:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1683/ ... 1495813452

It's the first 's' that I need (want) to replicate. There are several fonts in the MegaFonts Now collection that have a dcent array of ligatures (double 'f', for example), but I don't see anything that replicates this combination.
lgsl

Post by lgsl »

You could modify a ƒ (U+0192), in order to get that "special" s you want :)
That way you would get something like this:
Screenshot_20210205_105107.png
Screenshot_20210205_105107.png (8.04 KiB) Viewed 4585 times
That's just a keep example, you would have to give it a bit of more love.
Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi »

I don't know which fonts in the MegaFont Collection have this character, but it is not so uncommon; it's the Unicode character U+017F in section "Latin Extended A". For example, my Times New Roman has it. Maybe this can help in your search.
In TextMaker, when you invoke Insert > Symbol..., choose "Latin Extended A" in field "Set", then go to 017F, you may see at a glance which of your installed fonts has the letter by changing fonts in field "Font".

Return to “SoftMaker Fonts”