Font Manager Users?

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for SoftMaker fonts.
Woody44

Font Manager Users?

Post by Woody44 »

Is there anyone on this forum who uses the font manager that comes with Megafonts Now? I have the font collection and I have used several of the fonts on various projects, but I am finding that -- as I install more fonts on my computer, the list of available fonts just grows longer (naturally), and it's becoming unwieldy. There is also the issue of synchronizing the fonts between my desktop computer, my notebook computer, and my tablet.

The font manager is an unknown to me. Because the way Windows 10 installs software with changes to the registry, I am always reluctant to try out any new application. That's why I would love to hear any feedback that anyone can offer.

Thank you.
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Font Manager Users?

Post by miguel-c »

I'm a member of the SoftMaker team, but I'm going to give you my personal opinion:
Our font manager works well. It's simple but effective. You can see my article about it here:
https://www.softmaker.com/en/blog/typog ... nt-manager

What programs are you using the fonts on? Adobe Creative Suite?
Woody44

Post by Woody44 »

miguel-c wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:27 am
What programs are you using the fonts on? Adobe Creative Suite?
Mostly in Microsoft Word.
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by miguel-c »

Ok, if it were in Adobe Suite, I'd tell you a trick to place the fonts you need in their special folder, but since it's Word, it doesn't apply.
Anyway, all other Font Manager Users are welcome to give their feedback on this post.
Woody44

Post by Woody44 »

I have installed the MegaFonts font manager, but there doesn't seem to be any sort of help or user manual available. I have no idea how it works, and it is NOT intuitive.

For example, I found my way to the MyFonts tab, which I assume (???) is a tabulation of the fonts I currently have installed under Windows. I see a choice to delete. What does that do? If I want to reduce the list of fonts I have to scroll through when working in Word (or any other program), if I delete a bunch of fonts -- are they removed from my computer and gone forever, or are they simply deactivated, and still available for use if re-activated?

Some sort of instruction manual would be helpful. As it is, I have the program linked to a shortcut on my desktop but it's completely useless to me because I don't have a clue how to use it.
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by miguel-c »

We're sorry not to have included the help file. I'm going to inform product management...
Regarding your questions:
1. "Myfonts > Delete" deletes groups you create.
MegaFont NOW lets you organize your fonts in groups. You can group by project, style, use, etc. Later you can activate the group you need for the particular project you're working on, and all those fonts will immediately become active on your system. When you're done, just deactivate the group and the computer resources will be freed. Groups are really useful.

2. If you want to uninstall a font from Windows, select it in the "My fonts > Installed fonts" list and then select uninstall. You'll be prompted you you want to just deactivate it or if you really want to delete it from the Windows fonts group.
Woody44

Post by Woody44 »

Deleting groups presupposes that I know how to create groups. Which I don't. I don't know if fonts have to be installed before they can be included in groups, or if I can create groups using fonts in the download directory for MegaFonts NOW that I haven't installed. And I download to an external NAS device (Western Digital MyCloud), and I don't know if fonts from the NAS can be made into groups I can access.

Is there a way you can e-mail the manual to me (you have my e-mail on file), or post a link to it here so that we can download it?
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by miguel-c »

1. See attached image on how to create a new group.
2. We don't have a manual yet
3. Network locations are not supported
Screenshot 2021-01-20 203018.png
Bulbo93

Post by Bulbo93 »

I have used several other (free) font managers, and the one in question has features the others do not. Since it is a step up, learning how to use it is easier if you already know how the lesser programs work / try to work / *should* work. For one example that probably includes usage guidance, see FontViewOK

Return to “SoftMaker Fonts”