Megafonts Now problem

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for SoftMaker fonts.
Woody44

Megafonts Now problem

Post by Woody44 »

I've been using the Baskerville Nova Pro and Caslon Pro fonts in a couple of documents I'm working on. I would like to be able to work with these documents on my Samsung (Android) tablet as well as on my Windows desktop computer. I have the Word app on the Samsung tablet.

I read that to add new fonts for Word on the Samsung all I have to do is create a document using the font(s), save the document with the fonts embedded, and then open the document on the tablet. When I did that, the document opened, BUT ... It opened with an error message that says:

"READ ONLY - This file contains embedded fonts licensed for Print or Preview only, that this version of Word doesn't support."

When I bought Megafonts Now it was my understanding that my license allows me to use these fonts for commercial purposes. Why won't the Word app on my Android tablet even allow me to open the document in Edit mode? More important, how can I add your fonts to the Android device so that I can work transparently between my Windows desktop computer and the Samsung tablet?
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Megafonts Now problem

Post by martin-k »

Embedding a font in a document allows a recipient to view a document using that font.

There are different levels of embedding, mainly "only for viewing" and "full editing". No commercial font vendor allows "full editing" because it allows you to create a document that you can give to anybody, letting them build a font collection for free.

If Microsoft enables font "installation" through fonts embedded in documents, they designed this feature stupidly. You will get some (not all) Microsoft-owned fonts for editing this way, but no fonts whose vendors sell them.

You can use SoftMaker Office HD for Android which supports font installation by simply putting the TTF files in a shared folder on the Android device.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH
Woody44

Post by Woody44 »

I had SoftMaker HD on my Android tablet. It was such a disaster that I had to uninstall it. I've been waiting for the long-promised update ... when will that be available?
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k »

I don't know why you are calling it a disaster, but we are building a completely new version this year.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH
Woody44

Post by Woody44 »

Basically, it didn't work. It has been quite some time since I tried it and I don't remember the specifics, but I did communicate the problems to you at the time. It was bad enough that I had to uninstall the app from my tablet. Which means, of course, that I cannot try to reproduce the issues now.
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by miguel-c »

New android versions caused issues where the programs wouldn't load. We're all looking forward to the new HD version.

Return to “SoftMaker Fonts”