Small caps?

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for SoftMaker fonts.
Woody44

Small caps?

Post by Woody44 »

Is there a list of serif fonts suitable for use as body test in a non-fiction book that include "pro" elements such as small caps as well as true, typeset italics, bold, and bold italic? I'm trying to format a book, and in the Baskerville typefaces I can't find one that looks right and has matching small caps.

Which of the serif fonts in Megafonts Now include small caps?
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Small caps?

Post by martin-k »

Step 1: Go to https://infinitype.de/smallcaps to find which fonts have small caps in our infiniType collection.

Step 2: Find out if the chosen font is also in MegaFont NOW.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH
Woody44

Post by Woody44 »

Thank you.
Woody44

Post by Woody44 »

Naturally, the Baskerville Old face Pro that I wanted to use has small caps -- but it doesn't have true bolds or italics. But ... Caslon Pro does, and that's a good choice for the body of a non-fiction book. I think that'll do it.

Thanks again.

It would be great if you could add files for bold, italic, and bold italic for the Baskerville Old face typeface.
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k »

As far as I know, nobody ever created bolds or italics for Baskerville Old Face, so that would be kind of ahistoric. In fact, despite its name, it was not created by John Baskerville... ;-)
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH
Woody44

Post by Woody44 »

I know the "Baskerville Old Face" typeface wasn't created by Baskerville. According to the article in Wikipedia (and other sources), the original Baskerville type face was, indeed, created by Baskerville -- and did include italics. "Baskerville Old face" was a derivative version.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baskerville

Here is another history of Baskerville that states the original included italics: https://morganlmurrayims224researchtopi ... skerville/

That said, Baskerville is a typeface that is widely suggested as a typeface that is suitable for use in typsetting body text in books. Other than possibly a children's book (for which Baskerville would not be a good choice), it would be an unusual book that didn't include any italics or bold face type. For that reason, to be useful today it would seem that any version offered should (virtually must) include true italics, bold, and bold italics.
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k »

The way I always understood it is that Baskerville Old Face was created for headlines, whereas Baskerville proper is for both body text and headlines. In any case, nobody offers italics or bolds for Baskerville Old Face.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “SoftMaker Fonts”