Quotation marks

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for SoftMaker fonts.
Woody44

Quotation marks

Post by Woody44 »

I'm back at work on what I hope will be my first book. It's non-fiction, but not scholarly. I'm certain it won't get picked up by a major publishing house, so my plan is to offer it through ePub and also print-on-demand. For the latter, I'm the book designer as well as the author.

I had thought to use Palatino Linotype as the font for body text. However, I just realized that the version of Palatino Linotype that's on my computer (from Microsoft, either from Windows or from MS Office) doesn't include typeset opening and closing quotation marks. I have the MegaFont NOW collection, and I see several choices in that that appear to be versions of Palatino: Original Palazzo, Palazzo, Work Palazzo, Palermo Serial, Palladio, and (possibly) Placid.

Which of these would be a good substitute for Palatino? Do any of these include typeset opening and closing quotation marks?

Thank you.
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Quotation marks

Post by martin-k »

If your Palatino doesn't have typopgraphic quotes, the font is broken. I am quite sure that Palatino does have these signs.

I would suggest Palladio because that's the font Hermann Zapf designed and digitized as his chosen digital successor to hotmetal Palatino.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH
Woody44

Re: Quotation marks

Post by Woody44 »

Thank you. I'll check it out.

Return to “SoftMaker Fonts”