I need a font

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for SoftMaker fonts.
Woody44

I need a font

Post by Woody44 »

I have Mega Font Now. It's great, but there are so many fonts, and so many that are similar to one another, that it's difficult to zero in on exactly the right one.

At the moment, I need a fairly classical, formal serif font that includes letters such as "A" and "R" that have the ending stroke continue below the base line to form a swash. Can someone give me some suggestions which fonts to start looking at?

Thank you.
Last edited by Woody44 on Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Woody44

Re: I need a font

Post by Woody44 »

Related question: The font manager that comes with Megafont Now doesn't appear to offer any way to view the entire character set of the fonts, and I can't find any other freeware font managers that can display the complete character sets. Is there any way to do this? In the long term I would also like to be able to print out pages with the complete character sets and build up a reference notebook but, for now, I just need to be able view the full character sets on screen so I can look for things like swash capitals.

[Edit] Correction: I found the view panel for the character sets in the Megafont Now font manager.
Woody44

Post by Woody44 »

I am still in need of an answer to the original question:

"I need a fairly classical, formal serif font that includes letters such as "A" and "R" that have the ending stroke continue below the base line to form a swash. Can someone give me some suggestions which fonts to start looking at?"

There must be some fonts out of the 7,500 fonts in Megafont Now that have swash descenders as an option for the capital letters. Can someone tell me what they are, or how to find them?
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

You can find complete details and preview of fonts on this link.
Woody44

Post by Woody44 »

Thank you.
sstevemmitchell

Post by sstevemmitchell »

SuperTech wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:49 pm You can find complete details and preview of fonts on this link.
Thanks, I'm looking it for a while.Discord Fonts
Elisif

Post by Elisif »

Who knows any other fonts like Garamond Elegant. I'd like to get and compare. Thanks
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by miguel-c »

You can get the entire Garamond font family for a cheap price here:
https://www.myfonts.com/fonts/softmaker ... nd-serial/
Woody44

Post by Woody44 »

miguel-c wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:00 pm You can get the entire Garamond font family for a cheap price here:
https://www.myfonts.com/fonts/softmaker ... nd-serial/
That set does not include Garamond Elegant. Or anything similar, which I think is what was asked.
Woody44

Post by Woody44 »

Elisif wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:12 pm Who knows any other fonts like Garamond Elegant. I'd like to get and compare. Thanks
Search for "swash" fonts. They are usually found in pro font sets.
Woody44

Post by Woody44 »

Elisif wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:12 pm Who knows any other fonts like Garamond Elegant. I'd like to get and compare. Thanks
I just went through the entire directory of fonts in Megafont Now, which I bought awhile ago. Out of all the fonts in the collection, I found only four 'Pro" fonts that include a swash version, and one of those is a sans serif typeface that is so different from Garamond that I won't even list it. The others are:

Caslon Elegant Pro

Garamond Elegant Pro

Livorno Pro

Return to “SoftMaker Fonts”