TextMaker on Mint 17.1 very slow to save lonc docx

Post here those questions, bug reports and suggestions for SoftMaker Office 2016 for Linux that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

cscairns

TextMaker on Mint 17.1 very slow to save lonc docx

Post by cscairns » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:34 pm

Hi all, I am looking for a solid alternative to MS Word for Windows and Linux, but happen to be exploring on Linux now so will post this here.

I'd really like to purchase SoftMaker Office (and get that 128Gb thumb drive by April 30), but I have a repeatable and annoying issue.

Background:
TextMaker Pro 2016 opens docx files very fast and seems to navigate quickly and fully retain formatting.

I am working on a very long doc - 80,000+ words, 6 images and 1 table, perhaps 100 headings (1 title; all the rest are heading 1). Other than that, just regular word processing formatting. This computer is a newer HP desktop running Linux Mint 17.1, 12Gb ram.

Problem:
When I save this long document, it takes upwards of 15-20 seconds to save to my hard drive.

Is there a setting that can improve this performance issue?

I saw an old thread on this forum many years ago, so I presume the issue then, if the same, was resolved.

Many thanks in advance!

(Great product, I'd like to use it if I can fix this. The addition of the document navigator finally tipped the scale.)

--csc

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: TextMaker on Mint 17.1 very slow to save lonc docx

Post by sven-l » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:45 am

We would need that file to see if we can do something. If possible, please send it to forum(at)softmaker.de referring to that thread. Thank you!
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

cscairns

Re: TextMaker on Mint 17.1 very slow to save lonc docx

Post by cscairns » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:48 pm

Thank you, Sven. Unfortunately, I can't share the document. However, after I posted my question, I tried the same file on the Windows version of TextMaker and had no problem at all.

I'm going to create a new Word doc with roughly the same structure and formatting and see if I can reproduce the same behavior on Linux.

If anyone else has seen different behaviors with the same doc under different OS's, I'd be interested to know if you were able to isolate the problem.

(I suspect, but don't know yet, my issue may be a large number of styles in the doc, even though a small subset are in use. I'll post my results here.)

--csc

Return to “SoftMaker Office 2016 for Linux (General)”