Why are the PDF output files so LARGE...???

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for Presentations 2016 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

Win7Luvr

Why are the PDF output files so LARGE...???

Post by Win7Luvr » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:14 pm

Hi,

I recently got a copy of the Softmaker Office suite. Before getting the Softmaker programs, I had been using Apache Open Office.

I publish a newsletter for a swap shop, and I used to use the Open Office Presentation software to compose it. After getting the Softmaker Office programs, I converted the Open Office file to a Microsoft Office format, and then proceeded to open it with the Softmaker Presentations program. Everything worked great until it came time to export the file in PDF format.

When I output the file from Open Office, the size of the PDF file was 876 Kbytes. When I exported the file from the Softmaker Presentations program, the size of the PDF file was 6978 Kbytes. I checked all of the PDF Export settings in Softmaker Presentations to be sure that both of the programs were set to the same values, so this was not the problem. And the PDF file generated by Open Office looked slightly better than the one generated by Softmaker Presentation when viewed in Adobe Acrobat Reader.This large file size becomes a problem when sending the document in an email.

Why is the PDF file generated by Softmaker Presentations so large; almost 8 times larger than the output from Apache Open Office?

Thanks in advance.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Why are the PDF output files so LARGE...???

Post by sven-l » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:07 am

What is the quality of the AutoShape option? Have you embedded the used fonts into the PDF file? Please check the options in the PDF export dialog.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Win7Luvr

Post by Win7Luvr » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:23 pm

Quality is set to "Normal - 150 DPI". JPEG Compression is set to 60%. (These are the same settings that I use in Open Office.)

I tried the option to embed fonts. I used both of the embed settings; embed only used fonts and embed all fonts. Using the embed functions caused the PDF files to become larger. File size went from 6978 KB to 7194 KB for both of the embed settings.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:20 am

Could you please send us your file to forum(at)softmaker.de? Thank you!
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Win7Luvr

Post by Win7Luvr » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:18 pm

Sven,

Do you want the .ppt file or the PDF file, or both? Either way, they are probably too large to email. The .ppt file is 36,757 KB and the PDF file is 7,192 KB.

Do you have a Drop Box account? That might be the best way to transfer the files to you.

Bob

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:34 am

You can upload both files (as a zip archive) on a dropbox or google drive account and just send us the download link. Thank you!
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Win7Luvr

Post by Win7Luvr » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:49 pm

Okay, I've never tried this before but here goes. Also, after zipping the files, it turned out that the zip archive wasn't significantly smaller than the original files, so I just uploaded the files to my Dropbox. Here are the links to the individual files:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mpb2njv0oh9gl ... r.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0wevl8eljvgxh ... r.ppt?dl=0

Let me know if you need anything else.

Bob

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:38 pm

Thank you! I will refer this to the Developers.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Win7Luvr

Post by Win7Luvr » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:44 pm

Sven,

Have the developers made any progress on this issue yet?

Bob

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:54 am

No yet. We will inform you as soon as there are any news.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:01 am

sven-l wrote:No yet. We will inform you as soon as there are any news.
Using JPEG compression with 90% quality for images reduces the size about 10 times (see screenshot).
Attachments
screenshot.png
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Win7Luvr

Post by Win7Luvr » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:15 pm

Sven,

I tried the suggestion that you posted above. The size of the PDF file did not decrease...it increased 2.4 times.

The PDF file that Softmaker generated using 60% JPEG compression was 7,229 KB. The PDF file that Softmaker generated using 90% is 17,323 KB.

I tried exporting the files as PDF again using 20% compression and 10% compression. The PDF file sizes came out to be 3,898 KB and 3,075 KB, respectively. At 20% compression, the photos in the document still looked good, but the Word Art on page 1 started to look somewhat ragged. At 10% compression, The Word Art was terrible and the photos were poor quality, as you might expect. So even going down to 20% still caused the PDF file to be 4.4 times larger than the output from Apache Open Office.

Bob

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:12 am

Ok, sorry to hear that. Our developers are working on a solution but there is no schedule yet. I will inform you as soon as we have any news.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “Presentations 2016 for Windows”