Unable to use Find for an apostrophe (')

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for PlanMaker 2016 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

IceCreamPlanner

Unable to use Find for an apostrophe (')

Post by IceCreamPlanner » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:25 pm

I want to be able to find instances of '£ in imported data from Bank statements, and replace them with nothing, so that (e.g.) '£3.58 which is currently treated as text will be converted to 3.58 and treated as a number which can be formatted as currency (e.g. shown as £3.58) and used in calculations.
However, the Find dialogue refuses to recognise and find the character. It'll find £, though, but not ^?£.
I am using Windows 10 Home, and a UK keyboard.
I have tried copying the character from a cell and pasting it into the Find dialogue, as well as just typing the ' key, but neither works.
Should I be using a different keyboard mapping - i.e. typing a character on my keyboard whose code matches the German keyboard code for ' ?
The same thing happens in FreeOffice PlanMaker 2018.

Failing this, is there a way to convert a cell (or in practice, lots of cells) from text to number?

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Unable to use Find for an apostrophe (')

Post by sven-l » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:58 am

I tried it with PlanMaker 2018 and at least it worked so far (see attached screenshot). I searched for '£ and the search function found it.
Attachments
screenshot.png
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:07 am

There is a difference if you really entered an apostrophe in the document, or if the apostrophe it simply PlanMaker's (and Excel's) way to say: Hey, this is a string and not a number.

Rule: if you don't see the apostrophe at the beginning of a cell but only in the edit toolbar above the worksheet, there is really no apostrophe at all. As a result, you cannot search for it.

But you can approach this differently: Imagine cell A1 contains $ 3.58. Enter this in cell B1:

=VALUE(SUBSTITUTE(A1;"$";""))

You replace the dollar sign "away", then ask PlanMaker to return the resulting string (which looks like a number) into a real numeric value.

If you then use "fill down", you can copy this formula to the right of all values of your column.

In the next step, if you want real, literal values, you could cut the results to the clipboard, use Paste special and ask PlanMaker to convert formulas to values.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

IceCreamPlanner

Post by IceCreamPlanner » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:33 pm

Thanks, martin-k.
That seems to be the way to do it!
What a bother, but I'm very grateful for the solution.
IceCreamPlanner (OP)

Return to “PlanMaker 2016 for Windows”