Invoicing systems

Questions and answers about PlanMaker 2016 for Windows
Princy557

Invoicing systems

Post by Princy557 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:38 am

HI,
Just a general question which if you have the time would like some input on.

I want to start a Workbook, containing the following worksheets.
1. Invoices (control page) the ability to 'create' and 'jump' to any invoice. shows actual invoice sum values and other data.
2. Actual invoice, printable for customer and accountant using 2016xxxx1 .....
3. Materials worksheet, where costs can be entered and used by actual invoice sheet.

My overall question is has it been done and where do I find how to set it up?

My underlying question is if above is not answered how do I set it up.

My son has gone self employed and I said I would 'try' to help with his invoicing.

Any input appreciated :o

Regards
Princy
Attachments
TESTINVOICE.xlsx
(17.65 KiB) Downloaded 240 times
Regards

Princy557

Jim-J

Re: Invoicing systems

Post by Jim-J » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:18 pm

Hello,

I don't think this can be accomplished without some Basic scripting. It would be much easier to create for each invoice a separate document (file).
Jim J.
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Princy557

Post by Princy557 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:43 pm

Hi Jim-J
Thanks for the reply.
I have a memory of reading and following through of an excel tutorial (which I can't find now) which interacted without any scripting.
Then there is still the thing of will it run under PM....

I'll keep looking at it and see if I can dream up any further questions as to the way it would work. Currently I , on the summary page, just set '=' then point at the relevant area on the associated worksheet..

Is there a way of using the reference number in the left column to use in the actual formulae? eg. the left column says 201600005, how can I use that to be part of a formulae such as =(referenc)!G55 sort of thing.
As it is intended for the worksheets to be fixed refs for values, i.e. the total always in same place, dates same place customer name etc.

Just throwing this stuff around...

Regards
Princy
Regards

Princy557

XL-Dennis

Post by XL-Dennis » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:30 pm

Hello,

Not sure what You looking for but a simple =A1 will do most of the time. Sometimes we need to extract the last numbers like =RIGHT(A1;4) for lookup or so.

A running invoice system is doable. If it was me I would use a small database (like SQLite or so) but that will require additional knowledge that may be over the top for You.

Search for Excel and running invoice number. It's a quite common request so I hope it will give You some more input. When it comes to scripting You can ask specific questions about converting Excel VBA code to PlanMaker's script.
------------------------------------------------
Kind regards,
Dennis

Freddie

Post by Freddie » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:44 pm

Yes, a database would be easier - which brings to mind the 'DataMaker' situation (available in Germany?). Given Microsoft and Corel pricing of their 'professional' suites with Access / Paradox and the relative complexity / bloat of some Open Source solutions, there remains a gap in the marketplace here.

Certainly, all this could be achieved in a spreadsheet, but it sounds like a lot of work and potentially quite messy.

Princy557

Post by Princy557 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:02 pm

First off, thanks XL-dennis. Now I have been wanting to try SQL for ages, but maybe at my age, I should not try to learn it.. which leads to the database comment from Freddie.

Thanks Fredie for the response.
I have prompted (hinted to J) on and off for over three years now to get DataMaker up and running for English. I've offered to even be a betatester.
It is the major lacking point in the office suite.

Come on Softmaker give us a look at DataMaker :D :D 8)

As for my Invoice situation, I've Done something for my son, it's not interactive as such but easy to build a worksheet with values and produce an actual invoice from these values.

Access, well if only they would drop the price I'd use that, but database is a definate requirement for SoftMaker Office 2016

Can we all pester them until it becomes available in more languages... :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
Regards

Princy557

Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:18 pm

Give up all hope - as far as SoftMaker is concerned, it's all quiet on the database front. According to a statement of SoftMaker CEO Martin Kotulla in the German forum on January 31st, there will be no DataMaker in the foreseeable future.

I'm in the same position as you - my daughter has gone self-employed in the real estate sector lately and asked me for help with a business database. Luckily, I had some experience wth FileMaker Pro. This program has quite a hefty price tag, too, but is much, much easier to learn and use than MS Access. It comes with sample solutions, and complete enterprise solutions are available for free (e.g. at http://rcconsulting.com/downloads.html). Maybe you want to give it a try (30 day trial at http://www.filemaker.com).

XL-Dennis

Post by XL-Dennis » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:33 pm

Thanks Jossi for the clear present situation. I'm the first to regret it. Nowadays spreadsheet softwares and databases tend to walk in hands more and more. The need for easy solutions will force individuals to look for an option to SMO suite.

Personally I would recommend LibreOffice, which is free and more powerful the the SMO suite.

I was hoping that SoftMaker would have a go with databases. Initially and the most easiest would have simple be to implement a SMO version of SQLite.

This is the final nail for me. I have been reconsider my choice of Office suite (MS Office is not an option) for my personal needs. I will move on with LibreOffice. After all, it offers more tools and support.

Good luck and all the very best,
Dennis
------------------------------------------------
Kind regards,
Dennis

Princy557

Post by Princy557 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:22 pm

-HI Jossi,

Well thanks for the information, disappointing that it is. I'll have a look at Filemaker, sometimes retail software sellers have good bargains!!
I've just been recommending SM Office 2016, as well, I'll tell em not to bother if this limitation has been added.

Yes I'm with XL-Dennis on this and may have to rethink my choices here.

Thanks XL-Dennis,

Thanks for the alternatives suggestions. I'll have a look at LibreOffice. Not heard of it before.

SM Office: It would be nice if they had followed through with their promises that they were going to look at it way back in 2014 I think it was. Especially as they now incorporate the Thunderbird with the package. thought they were expanding....

Yes off we go again changing
Regards

Princy557

Freddie

Post by Freddie » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:18 pm

There is also the Apache Open Office variant which has a slightly different (and some would say nicer) interface. These free suites are fine although seem to be becoming a little bloated and of course there is a reliance on JAVA for some functionality.
SMO remains agile and with a smaller footprint and works better as a 'portable' application. Of course, one will never find the 'perfect' balance (which for me = light / small / fast and reliable) so a matter of Hobson's Choice. SMO does have some good points though...

Freddie

Post by Freddie » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:23 pm

Another possibility - if you want to try MS Access - the older versions of MS Office Pro, such as '2003' are often available for next to nothing and represent an inexpensive way of acquiring Access. This would enable you to create a comprehensive 'Invoice' application. While the later versions have more wizards and automation, the core functionality is little different.

Filemaker Pro is sometimes available at low cost and you might also find the older versions of Paradox knocking around.

However, this thread does suggest that, if SoftMaker persevered with DataMaker, they might find some appreciative users while simultaneously broadening the scope of the application.

Princy557

Post by Princy557 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:32 pm

Hi Freddie,
Thanks for the replies, I've been a little distracted due to a family member having had a stroke, so some things gone on back burner for a while.
But all noted.
Regards

Princy557

melmitts707

Post by melmitts707 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:52 pm

May I add a word of caution about FileMaker? I developed FileMaker solutions for several years and a couple of years ago FileMaker botched a patch and after installing that patch I could not run FileMaker. The FileMaker hidden settings would not allow me to reinstall the any version prior to the botched version. I tried the forums and web searches for a solution with no success. I contacted FileMaker and then confirmed the botched update on some computers. I ask them how to fix it and their reply was go to their website and PURCHASE the software support option and then contact them again.

FileMaker uses a proprietary data format. If you can't run FileMaker, you can't access your data. My final solution was to backup everything again, reformat the hard drive and reinstall a previous version of FileMaker. As soon as that was done, I exported all of my data to Microsoft Access and have never used FileMaker since.
Mel

Return to “PlanMaker 2016 for Windows”