Modify database structure, import data

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for TextMaker 2016 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

snowshed

Modify database structure, import data

Post by snowshed » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:30 pm

First question:

You create a database, and after entering numerous records, you find you really need another field.

Is it possible to add a field to the existing database?

Second question:

You created a database, and entered data. You have a similar database elsewhere, and want to include that data.

Is it possible to somehow import or merge multiple databases?

Third quetion:

The file extension of the database is dbf. If you have a stand alone database, that can create and manipulate a dbf database, could that program be used to create and manipulate a database that would be compatible with Textmaker? Making sure you only use features that are supported by Textmaker.

Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Re: Modify database structure, import data

Post by Jossi » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:06 pm

First answer:
Upgrade to TextMaker 2018. In this version the option to modify the structure of existing databases was added.

Second answer:
AFAIK there is no way to merge databases directly in TextMaker; but see next answer.

Third answer:
As long as it is standard .dbf, the output of any program can be opened by TextMaker. For example you can open a dbf database in PlanMaker, modify it, save as dbf again and use it in TextMaker. This is also a possible workaround for your first and second question.

snowshed

Post by snowshed » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:10 pm

Jossi wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:06 pm
First answer:
Upgrade to TextMaker 2018. In this version the option to modify the structure of existing databases was added.
At some point in the future, this is likely. Depending on what's offered at that time, in the way of multiple computers/versions, the possibility exists of upgrading for Windows, Mac, and Linux. Phones and tablets are not going to happen, the screens are too small for me to read any longer. :(
Jossi wrote:
Second answer:
AFAIK there is no way to merge databases directly in TextMaker; but see next answer.
OK. I can deal with this.
Jossi wrote:
Third answer:
As long as it is standard .dbf, the output of any program can be opened by TextMaker. For example you can open a dbf database in PlanMaker, modify it, save as dbf again and use it in TextMaker. This is also a possible workaround for your first and second question.
I had not thought of using Planmaker!!! Thanks.

And logically, I can add the missiing field(s), possibly even merge databases.

snowshed

Post by snowshed » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:06 pm

snowshed wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:10 pm
Jossi wrote:
Third answer:
I had not thought of using Planmaker!!! Thanks.

And logically, I can add the missiing field(s), possibly even merge databases.
Well, it almost worked! :D

The dbf file opened fine in Planmaker. Field names were displayed in the first row.
  1. Inserted column for the missing field
    Added text to a record in the new column
    Saved file as dbf
    Set the file to the modified file
    The field names from the original database are now displayed in the fields of the first record.
    Original data in the first record are not displayed.
    Reopening the dbf file in PlanMaker is as it should be.
Is it just me, or do the bulleted list and numbered list not display as I expected? I was expecting numbers at the beginning of each line.

Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:06 pm

snowshed wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:06 pm
The field names from the original database are now displayed in the fields of the first record.
When saving the dbf file in Planmaker, check "First row contains field names".
snowshed wrote:
Is it just me, or do the bulleted list and numbered list not display as I expected? I was expecting numbers at the beginning of each line.
In an numbered list, this should be so. Did you create the list via Format > Bullets and Numbering...? A sample document would be helpful.

snowshed

Post by snowshed » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:59 pm

Jossi wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:06 pm
snowshed wrote:
When saving the dbf file in Planmaker, check "First row contains field names".
Thanks. I doing a presentation on what word processors are capable of doing, not so much on how to use a specific word processor. Spreadsheets will be done also. So I haven't gotten into Planmaker yet.

I'm finding the manual that was written, and I printed, to be extremely helpful.
Jossi wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:06 pm
snowshed wrote:
In an numbered list, this should be so. Did you create the list via Format > Bullets and Numbering...? A sample document would be helpful.
My apologies, Jossi, poor writing on my part. I was referring to my effort to create a numbered list in my original post. I wanted each line to have a number, but all I could figure out was getting a number on the first line.

Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:37 pm

Oh sorry, I was still in TextMaker mode and didn't realise it was about the forum.

Yes, I have exactly the same problem. Looks like a bug in the phpBB forum software.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:28 pm

Jossi wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:37 pm
Oh sorry, I was still in TextMaker mode and didn't realise it was about the forum.

Yes, I have exactly the same problem. Looks like a bug in the phpBB forum software.
see: https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2415896
According to the second post the BB code for a numbered list should be something like (remove the spaces inside the first brackets):

Ordered List:
[ list=1 ]
[*]One
[*]Two
[*]Three
[/list]
End List

This works for me also in this forum.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:44 pm

I see. Snowshed and I didn't realise that the asterisks have to be in squared brackets, too.
Thanks for helping, Sven.

Return to “TextMaker 2016 for Windows”