More than one problem with footnotes - see attachment

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for TextMaker 2016 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

ecbritz

More than one problem with footnotes - see attachment

Post by ecbritz » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:27 am

I have now experienced glitches with Textmaker footnotes in three different documents, all three with lots of footnotes.

1. The first problem is that document text and footnote text start overlapping -- lines piled on top of other lines -- at a certain position in the document. By deleting a character in the preceding document text, the overlapping lines can usually be made to separate and return to where they belong. But it is a very upsetting phenomenon if you are doing contracted work. Perhaps one should change the text in the document text until you don't have any "overlapped" footnote(s)? I ATTACH A SCREENSHOT.

2. A second phenomenon is that a number of empty pages are added at the end of the document if you change the footnote location to "end of document" rather than "bottom of page". Note: I am talking about a lengthy document and many footnotes.

3. A third phenomenon: When footnotes are positioned at the bottom of the pages, "gaps" start forming in the document text. A gap usually appears directly above a certain footnote or stack of footnotes.

4. A fourth phenomenon: If you start your footnote numbering at say footnote no. 95 when entering the footnotes of chapter three -- in a new document titled Chapter 3 -- you will have a document that does not show this no. 95 when it is read with MS Word. MS Word will start the footnotes at no. 1 in each separate document.

The whole purpose of Softmaker is to produce documents that can be read and edited in a MS Word environment. But the footnotes will trip you up.

The Textmaker program is supposed to be a serious business application with cost implications for the user if it malfunctions. Is there a quick fix that can be applied to rectify these footnote problems?
Attachments
Overlapping text.JPG
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: More than one problem with footnotes - see attachment

Post by sven-l » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:05 pm

Please send a sample file to forum(at)softmaker.com referring to this thread or attach it here. Thank you!
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

ecbritz

Re: More than one problem with footnotes - see attachment

Post by ecbritz » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:01 pm

I could not send you the document(s) containing the issues experienced with footnotes due the fact that they are in a pre-publication phase and subject to a confidentiality clause. But I have solved my long-standing problem with editing or translating documents with many footnotes to some extent. I give my "recipe" for dealing with footnotes in another thread.
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.

Return to “TextMaker 2016 for Windows”