Paragraph stays white after applying background Color

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for TextMaker 2016 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

TrollSaw

Paragraph stays white after applying background Color

Post by TrollSaw » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:13 am

Hi:

Any Idea why a paragraph in my new flyer stays white after applying background color. Any ideas? 8-)

Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Re: Paragraph stays white after applying background Color

Post by Jossi » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:46 pm

Check Format > Paragraph..., tab "Shading". Anything else but "None" selected?
If not, check Format > Character..., tab "Font". Is there a different background color?

TrollSaw

Post by TrollSaw » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:03 pm

OK Jossi--it worked. Another question. For my church flyer, I am having a pen and ink drawing of the church being drawn up. I want to screen it in the background, just a light screen. How do I do that. Don't have the drawing yet though. \:D/

Another question. I have the background color I want now. Is there anyway I can fill in that color around some clipart. Maybe you can't paint into clipart? Is it called brushing? :mrgreen:

Thank you,

John 12833

Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:00 pm

TrollSaw wrote:OK Jossi--it worked. Another question. For my church flyer, I am having a pen and ink drawing of the church being drawn up. I want to screen it in the background, just a light screen. How do I do that. Don't have the drawing yet though. \:D/
If you want to have the drawing as background of one page only, proceed as follows:
1. Go to Tools > Options..., tab "Edit", and make sure that "Insert frames and drawings immediately" is unchecked.
2. Invoke Object > New Picture Frame..., draw a frame of the size you need and insert the picture.
3. Right-click the picture, go to Picture > Properties, tab "Layout", set "Text wrapping" to "Behind text", check "Fix on page" and make sure that horizontal and vertical position are relative to page.
4. If the picture looks distorted (too wide or too narrow), go to tab "Format" and check "Keep aspect ratio".
5. To get the light screen effect, go to tab "Picture". Try the second or the third Colour mode or one of the Standard light variations first. If these are not satisfactory, play around with "Brightness", "Contrast" and "Saturation" until you get precisely the effect you want.

If you want the picture as background for all pages, invoke View > Master Pages between step 1 and 2 and return to View > Standard after step 5.
TrollSaw wrote:Another question. I have the background color I want now. Is there anyway I can fill in that color around some clipart. Maybe you can't paint into clipart? Is it called brushing? :mrgreen:
Sorry, I'm not quite sure which effect you want to produce. Could you give me a few more details?

TrollSaw

Post by TrollSaw » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:42 am

OK, I am making a 6" x 9" church informational flyer. (Post Card) 14 pound card stock. Gonna print 5,000. One can hand them out or First Class it. The church drawing will be on the mailing side only. So, on the back I have 4 clip arts. One clip art is a Blue Dove, with a white background surrounding it. Is there a way to make that Dove white background to the cream color back ground I have chosen?

Thank you

Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:11 am

TrollSaw wrote:One clip art is a Blue Dove, with a white background surrounding it. Is there a way to make that Dove white background to the cream color back ground I have chosen?
Right-click the picture, invoke Picture Properties..., tab "Picture", set "Transparency" to "Colour" and choose "White" as colour (rightmost box in the top row). Now the background should shine through.
By the way: As your flyer is going to be printed, you might consider choosing a cream coloured card and dispensing with the background. To print on coloured paper or card gives usually better results than printing a coloured background on white (ask your printer for details).

TrollSaw

Post by TrollSaw » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:14 pm

WOW:

Your just plain amazing Jossi. It's looking so Kool!! I gotcha on about printing on colored stock. I will have to ask.

Another question, if you don't mind. I have a couple lines that have to be moved a little bit. Can you tell me how to do that. This will complete this project. Still have to wait for the pen and ink drawing though, so I can screen it in.

This is just a little church. They are going to be so happy when they see this. They know nothing about it. I can't wait to complete it. :mrgreen:

Thank you so much,

John

Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:19 am

Hi John,

happy it did work! Are you talking about lines of text or lines as graphics?

Cheers
Jossi

TrollSaw

Post by TrollSaw » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:31 am

Lines of text. I have to move them a little. The Post Cards aren't gonna be printed. I think they use Laser Ink. 4 passed for full color.

TrollSaw

Post by TrollSaw » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:32 am

TrollSaw wrote:Lines of text. I have to move them a little. The Post Cards aren't gonna be printed. I think they use Laser Ink. 4 passes for full color.

Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:40 am

First option will be to have a look at the paragraph format (Format > Paragraph...). In tab "Paragraph" you can fine-tune the position of lines. For the horizontal position there are the left and right indents, for the vertical position I always recommend to set "Line spacing" to "Exactly" and give precise values to have total control. Additionally there are the "Before" and "After" fields which only affect the first and last lines of a paragraph.
If all this doesn't help and the matter is only about a single line (e. g. a headline) you might (as a last resort) consider putting this line into a text box and manipulating the box.

TrollSaw

Post by TrollSaw » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:49 am

Yes, Text Box would work =D> I have 2 lines to reposition. How do I do that? =D> I mean short headings.

Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:07 pm

Select a heading with the mouse, cut it out (Ctrl+X), then go to Object > New Text Frame, draw the frame with the mouse and insert the heading (Ctrl+V).
To move a text frame, first click the border of the box so it is shown in blue. Text boxes may be moved around using the mouse but it is much preciser to use the arrow keys on your keyboard. Shift+arrow moves the object in bigger steps, Ctrl+arrow in very small steps.

TrollSaw

Post by TrollSaw » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:44 pm

Well:
I'm working on it by fooling around with it. New Problem. The last line of one of my paragraphs is like to wide of a horizontal space. It won't move back up. Hmm

John ](*,)

Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:07 am

Do you mean the last line of the paragraph takes the complete width of the column? In this case, go to File > Properties..., tab "View", click the "Compatibilty..." button and check "Do not justify lines that end with a soft return". Does this help?

Return to “TextMaker 2016 for Windows”