Unwanted activation of object mode

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for TextMaker 2016 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

kuifje

Unwanted activation of object mode

Post by kuifje » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:44 am

I have a problem with 'object mode'. I am used to working a lot using the right hand mouse button to get a list of options, and then to select what I want.

Example: Accept changes made by somebody else

However, I have always had the problem that often (actually more often than not!) I accidentally end up in 'object mode'.

It appears that somehow when I right-click, it automatically activates the first option in the menu, which is 'Object mode'.

Sometimes I quickly see the 'normal' menu flashing on my screen, sometimes not.

And of course I know how to get out of object mode, but if 60-75% of the time that I DON''T want to go in object mode, I automatically, inadvertently, end in object mode anyway, it is quite annoying and not very productive.

The problem is not my mouse nor my computer. I checked on another computer, and with another mouse. Same problem. And I don't have a decease that makes me accidentally double-click either.

Does this ring a bell with somebody? Does anybody have a solution?

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Unwanted activation of object mode

Post by sven-l » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:20 pm

kuifje wrote: It appears that somehow when I right-click, it automatically activates the first option in the menu, which is 'Object mode'.
This sounds like a problem with your mouse. Have you tried it with another mouse or on another PC?
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

hla

Post by hla » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:29 am

I wanted to post my own report of this but I see someone else has this problem...
I've been using versions 2012, 2016, and have recently downloaded 2018 (trial) where the issue also occurs, I might even say more often...
I'm using version 2016 on an HP Stream 11 with a Logitech mouse (Windows 10 Home), and a desktop PC with a Microsoft mouse (Windows 7), and it happens on both systems.

I'm now reviewing a 450 page document, and the work is mostly spell check, add custom words to dictionary, cut something or delete comments and right clicking the document or comments does not produce the expected popup menu but activates object mode, and it really messes up with my workflow having to "force" the menu to appear. So, now I do the typing in TextMaker but have to resort Office 2007 to do the reviewing/fixing...

It would be great if you could pop-up the popup menu a few pixels away of the cursor, or maybe move the Object Mode to another location in the popup menu... (or whatever fixes the issue)

If it's any help to the developers, the issue happens even on completely new empty documents. The first time I right-click I get the object mode and its toolbar appears, and the next time I right click, it restores the standard toolbar...

Hope the details in this report help.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:04 pm

Could you please attach your log file you can create in the Help>=About dialog? Thank you!
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

hla

Post by hla » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:38 pm

I've been playing with something before I saw your reply, and maybe it'll be more helpful than my system info...
Attached are 2 files - one shows Spy++ windows and differences between manually clicking the textMaker window
when the toolbar is activated and when it is not (diff_behavior_on_right_click.png).
The other is a simple FreePascal GUI I put together to simulate right clicking, and sure enough if I click the
button to simulate right clicks, the toolbar also appears (clicker_screenshot.png).

Hope this helps.
If you still need the sminfo.txt I'll send it to you somewhere privately, but redacted as well, especially
since the forum is not on HTTPS, however I think you won't need it... ;)

The code for the "clicker tool" is (Freepascal Lazarus):
===========================
procedure TForm1.Button1Click(Sender: TObject);
var
wHandle: THandle;
begin
// Display the submenu in TextMaker.
// Use Spy++ to get the window handle. Convert to integer.
wHandle := 131750;

PostMessage(wHandle, WM_RBUTTONDOWN, MK_RBUTTON, MAKELPARAM(57,33));
PostMessage(wHandle, WM_NCHITTEST, 0, MAKELPARAM(415, 312));

PostMessage(wHandle, WM_MOUSEMOVE, MK_RBUTTON, MAKELPARAM(57,33));
PostMessage(wHandle, WM_RBUTTONUP, MK_RBUTTON, MAKELPARAM(57,33));

Sleep(100); // To see the menu.
// When I set 100ms, I am able to click the button quickly enough
// to have the Object Mode activated sometimes. Simply click the button a lot...

// "Cancel" the display of the submenu by left-clicking slightly
// above it.
PostMessage(wHandle, WM_LBUTTONDOWN, MK_LBUTTON, MAKELPARAM(57,23));
PostMessage(wHandle, WM_NCHITTEST, 0, MAKELPARAM(415, 302));

PostMessage(wHandle, WM_MOUSEMOVE, MK_LBUTTON, MAKELPARAM(57,23));
PostMessage(wHandle, WM_LBUTTONUP, MK_LBUTTON, MAKELPARAM(57,23));

end;
Attachments
diff_behavior_on_right_click.png
clicker_screenshot.png

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:56 pm

hla wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:38 pm
If you still need the sminfo.txt I'll send it to you somewhere privately, but redacted as well, especially
since the forum is not on HTTPS, however I think you won't need it... ;)
Yes, please send them to forum(at)softmaker.com referring to this thread. Thank you!
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

hla

Post by hla » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:11 pm

Attachments sent.

Return to “TextMaker 2016 for Windows”