Any way to "Make it fit"?

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for TextMaker 2016 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

ecbritz

Any way to "Make it fit"?

Post by ecbritz » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:12 am

WordPerfect X9 to which I am attached like one would be to a veteran car, i.e. without finding it really serviceable any longer, has some features I do love. One such function is "Make if fit". When you do Format > Make it Fit in WordPerfect, you select the number of pages the document must fit into, filling all pages with text. Suppose you have typed six-and-half pages and want this to fit into four pages. You simply do Format > Make it Fit, then select 4 pages. The font size will be adjusted, from say 12pts to 9.7pts, automatically. If you select 9 pages, the font will be enlarged to say 16.9pts to adapt the same text to 9 filled pages. Is there any way to do this with Textmaker? It's marvelous for for instance designing a form that needs to fit snugly onto one page. I simply experiment with font sizes to get the same result. But I would love to discover an instant and automatic way.
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.

Alfred

Re: Any way to "Make it fit"?

Post by Alfred » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:41 pm

Auto-fitting to a (fixed height) text frame would suffice for a block of text that "needs to fit snugly onto one page", but I can't see how to achieve this in TextMaker.
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever.
(Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.)
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)

ecbritz

Post by ecbritz » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:23 pm

I attach an example of "Make it Fit" in the form of two pdf's. WordPerfect has many such functions not found in other word processors and a wonderful user's forum. But for doing some real work rather than fiddling around I find Textmaker the ideal word processor. Still, Make it Fit can be very handy. Hint, Softmaker, hint.
Attachments
Made to Fit on one page.pdf
(24.45 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
Original 2 pages.pdf
(24.95 KiB) Downloaded 111 times
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:25 pm

ecbritz wrote:WordPerfect X9 to which I am attached like one would be to a veteran car, i.e. without finding it really serviceable any longer, has some features I do love. One such function is "Make if fit". When you do Format > Make it Fit in WordPerfect, you select the number of pages the document must fit into, filling all pages with text. Suppose you have typed six-and-half pages and want this to fit into four pages. You simply do Format > Make it Fit, then select 4 pages. The font size will be adjusted, from say 12pts to 9.7pts, automatically. If you select 9 pages, the font will be enlarged to say 16.9pts to adapt the same text to 9 filled pages. Is there any way to do this with Textmaker?
There is no way to do this with TextMaker. I will refer your suggestion to the product management.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “TextMaker 2016 for Windows”