Command button to access website (e.g. any online dictionary)

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for TextMaker 2016 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

ecbritz

Command button to access website (e.g. any online dictionary)

Post by ecbritz » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:25 pm

If I can get an answer to the following question I will be forever astonished and deeply grateful.

I have Euroglot and other dictionary/translation/thesaurus programs dedicated to a certain language. They are available to me on Windows 10 Taskbar. I click on a command button in my Taskbar and the program I need opens in an instant. I use this at least every ten minutes of doing my work as a writer. It is part of using Softmaker for me.

What I would love to be able to do, is to create a command button for my Taskbar opening up for instance Google Translate, https://translate.google.com .

How do I create such a button? Is there a program I can use to create command buttons to access online dictionary sites? Please note that I cannot do programming. I have read one can do the following to create such a button, see below. But where and how do I do this? Where do I start?

Private Sub cmdOpenLink_Click()

Application.FollowHyperlink _
"https://translate.google.com"

End Sub

Is there an easier option to create a command button for opening a website?
Last edited by ecbritz on Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.

Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Re: Command button to access online dictionary sites

Post by Jossi » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:24 pm

Which internet browser do you use?

ecbritz

Post by ecbritz » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:25 pm

Thanks for responding. I use google where I can add an extension for google translate. However, its still a hassle because I have to go through 3 steps, including opening google, before I see the proper google translate interface. What I would love, is a button on my taskbar opening google translate. But how do I achieve that?
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.

Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:06 pm

That depends on the browser, that's why I asked. So you are using Google Chrome, right?

ecbritz

Post by ecbritz » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:45 pm

Yes, I believe so, Google Chrome it is. I don't have Edge on my Windows 10 Taskbar. I attach a screenshot of my writing tools in a row. Euroglot, a thesaurus and a dictionary dedicated to one language, a program with special character sets (PopChar), different word processors including WordPerfect, etc. Also Chrome. Now if I could add a button to open Google Translate, that would really make my day.
Attachments
Writing Tools.JPG
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.

ecbritz

Re: Command button to access website (SOLVED)

Post by ecbritz » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:58 pm

I found the answer.
  • In Google Chrome, go to the website you want a command button for, e.g. Google Translate.
    Click on the three dots in the top right hand corner.
    In the menu that should appear, click on "More Tools".
    Now click on "Add to desktop" in the context menu appearing on the left side of the menu.
    This will place a working command button on your desktop.
    You can change the icon if you want to have a neat button icon!
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.

ecbritz

Post by ecbritz » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:15 am

I attach the buttons for writing tools on my Windows 10 taskbar again with the button for opening Google Translate added. This is a wonderful discovery for me because I could not find instructions for creating a command button for opening a website (any website) on browsing the interne -- other than programming instructions. The easiest way to design an icon for the button and make it work as .ico file I can explain here, if there is any interest.

Thanks very much for putting me on the right track, Jossi!
Attachments
Writing Tools 2.jpg
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.

Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:03 am

This was precisely the solution I had in mind, too. 8)

ecbritz

Re: Command button to access website (i.e. any online dictionary)

Post by ecbritz » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:47 am

I would like to add that a command button opening any website of your choosing makes it possible to open any multi-language/translation website such as Majstro from your Desktop or Windows Taskbar as well.

When you follow the Google Tools route, as described earlier, a ready-made icon for the button will be supplied automatically, at least in the cases I tried. Here is the recipe once more:

1. In Google Chrome, go to the website you want a command button for, e.g. Google Translate.
2. Click on the three dots in the top right hand corner.
3. In the menu that should appear, click on "More Tools".
4. Now click on "Add to desktop" in the context menu appearing on the left side of the menu.
5. This will place a working command button on your desktop.
6. You can drag this button to your Taskbar.
7. You can change the button's icon if you want. (There is a separate recipe for that.)

There are various translation websites but I have only tested Majstro. It does a very good job, translating to and from some 60 different languages.
( http://www.majstro.com/Web/Majstro/home.php )

Majstro and similar translation websites is better than Google Translate for the purpose of single-word translation in the sense that you get a number of alternative words for one source word, in both languages involved in the translation. In other words, you get a multi-language thesaurus into the bargain. For instance, if you start with the English source word ugly, and translate to German, you get, on the English side: ugly; horrendous; horrid; lousy; no good; rotten; shitty; trashy; wretched. On the German side, you get: mies; scheußlig; schlecht; böse; häßlich; schlimm; unschön. Pretty neat! People who write as a profession find this kind of thing invaluable.

You have to bear with some advertising when opening Majstro, it does not bother me. If there is a better online multi-language/translation website available to use in conjunction with Textmaker, please let me know!

I attach another screenshot of the writing tools on my taskbar, with Majstro now added.
Attachments
Language tools.JPG
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.

Alfred

Re: Command button to access website (i.e. any online dictionary)

Post by Alfred » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:39 pm

ecbritz wrote:There are various translation websites but I have only tested Majstro. It does a very good job, translating to and from some 60 different languages.
( http://www.majstro.com/Web/Majstro/home.php )

Majstro and similar translation websites is better than Google Translate for the purpose of single-word translation in the sense that you get a number of alternative words for one source word, in both languages involved in the translation. In other words, you get a multi-language thesaurus into the bargain. For instance, if you start with the English source word ugly, and translate to German, you get, on the English side: ugly; horrendous; horrid; lousy; no good; rotten; shitty; trashy; wretched. On the German side, you get: mies; scheußlig; schlecht; böse; häßlich; schlimm; unschön. Pretty neat! People who write as a profession find this kind of thing invaluable.

You have to bear with some advertising when opening Majstro, it does not bother me. If there is a better online multi-language/translation website available to use in conjunction with Textmaker, please let me know!
I hadn't heard of Majstro: it looks rather good. Thanks for the link! :)
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever.
(Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.)
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)

Return to “TextMaker 2016 for Windows”