copy source paragraph formatting set and apply to the target paragraph (without changing style settings) as in MS Word

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for TextMaker 2016 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

Post Reply
leopoldus
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:57 pm

copy source paragraph formatting set and apply to the target paragraph (without changing style settings) as in MS Word

Post by leopoldus » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:49 pm

There is a useful option in MS Word in order to copy the whole set of the source paragraph formatting and then apply it to the single or several target paragraphs (without changing style settings of any paragraph): the shortcuts pair Ctrl+Shift+C => Ctrl+Shift+V is used for this purpose by default. For me it is extremely convenient.

Is there anything similar in TextMaker?
Thanks!

Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers
Posts: 1025
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:47 pm
Location: Luebeck, Germany

Re: copy source paragraph formatting set and apply to the target paragraph (without changing style settings) as in MS Wo

Post by Jossi » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:43 pm

TextMaker also has a "Transfer Formatting" function in the "Format" menu. To assign a shortcut to it, go to Tools > Customise > Keyboard Mappings..., click "Edit...", choose "Format" in the left column and "Transfer formatting" in the right column (scroll down a bit). To assign the shortcut, set the cursor in the field "Please press accelerator" and type Ctrl+Shift+C. Go back with "OK" and "Close". Now when you select a paragraph, press Ctrl+Shift+C and then select a different paragraph, all formattings are transferred immediately.

I'm not quite sure what "without changing style settings of any paragraph" in your posting means. Of course, the standard settings for new paragraphs (as defined in your style sheet) are not altered, but the target paragraphs get the transferred style.

leopoldus
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:57 pm

Re: copy source paragraph formatting set and apply to the target paragraph (without changing style settings) as in MS Wo

Post by leopoldus » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:12 pm

Jossi wrote:TextMaker also has a "Transfer Formatting" function in the "Format" menu.
Thank you, it is exactly what I searched for! =D>
To assign a shortcut to it, go to Tools > Customise > Keyboard Mappings..., click "Edit...", choose "Format" in the left column and "Transfer formatting" in the right column (scroll down a bit).
Thanks again. I've noticed, that there might be another solution too, that is main menu commands keyboard accelerators. In order to copy a source paragraph formattings a user can use Fo[r]mat => Transfer [F]ormatting. But I could not find a main menu command which applies the copied formattings to the target paragraph this way. I've tried press R => F again when the cursor on the target paragraph, but it seems that this does not work.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team
Posts: 8123
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:26 am
Location: Nuremberg
Contact:

Re: copy source paragraph formatting set and apply to the target paragraph (without changing style settings) as in MS Wo

Post by sven-l » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:50 am

leopoldus wrote:
Jossi wrote:TextMaker also has a "Transfer Formatting" function in the "Format" menu.
Thank you, it is exactly what I searched for! =D>
To assign a shortcut to it, go to Tools > Customise > Keyboard Mappings..., click "Edit...", choose "Format" in the left column and "Transfer formatting" in the right column (scroll down a bit).
Thanks again. I've noticed, that there might be another solution too, that is main menu commands keyboard accelerators. In order to copy a source paragraph formattings a user can use Fo[r]mat => Transfer [F]ormatting. But I could not find a main menu command which applies the copied formattings to the target paragraph this way. I've tried press R => F again when the cursor on the target paragraph, but it seems that this does not work.
For me it works the followjng way:

1. I could assign Alt+F as a shortcut to "Transfer Formatting" in Tools > Customise > Keyboard Mappings
2. Then I selected some text with red characters and pressed Alt+F
=>The mouse cursor changed into the brush icon
3. Now I selected some black colored text
=>The black colored text immediately became red like the source text was.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

leopoldus
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:57 pm

Re: copy source paragraph formatting set and apply to the target paragraph (without changing style settings) as in MS Wo

Post by leopoldus » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:20 am

sven-l wrote:For me it works the followjng way:
1. I could assign Alt+F as a shortcut to "Transfer Formatting" in Tools > Customise > Keyboard Mappings
2. Then I selected some text with red characters and pressed Alt+F =>The mouse cursor changed into the brush icon
3. Now I selected some black colored text =>The black colored text immediately became red like the source text was.
Yes, that is clear. But this information regards keyboard hotkeys (shortcuts), Jossi has already explained it his previous post viewtopic.php?f=249&t=16051&p=54072#p54047.

My last question was about keyboard accelerators for main menu commands "Transfer Formatting", it is not the same.
In order to copy a source paragraph formattings a user can use Fo[r]mat => Transfer [F]ormatting. But I could not find a main menu command which applies the copied formattings to the target paragraph this way. I've tried press R => F again when the cursor on the target paragraph, but it seems that this does not work.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team
Posts: 8123
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:26 am
Location: Nuremberg
Contact:

Re: copy source paragraph formatting set and apply to the target paragraph (without changing style settings) as in MS Wo

Post by sven-l » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:35 am

Currently it is not possible to use Ctrl+Shift+C => Ctrl+Shift+V for transfer formatting in TextMaker like it works e.g. in MS Word. I will forward this as a feature request to our produce management. Currently you have to use the mouse (togehter with a hotkey you can set) the way I described it above.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Alfred
Posts: 139
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:40 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: copy source paragraph formatting set and apply to the target paragraph (without changing style settings) as in MS Wo

Post by Alfred » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:14 pm

sven-l wrote:Currently you have to use the mouse
Unless I've misunderstood, this has negative implications for accessibility. It seems that the feature is currently unavailable to anyone who can't or won't use a mouse or other pointing device. If that is so, then it really needs to be changed.
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever.
(Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.)
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)

Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers
Posts: 1025
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:47 pm
Location: Luebeck, Germany

Re: copy source paragraph formatting set and apply to the target paragraph (without changing style settings) as in MS Wo

Post by Jossi » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:30 am

There is already an option to assign a keyboard shortcut to "Next paragraph". As the feature works now, all that is needed would be an additional option to assign a shortcut to "Select paragraph" to make format transfer usable by keyboard only.

leopoldus
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:57 pm

Re: copy source paragraph formatting set and apply to the target paragraph (without changing style settings) as in MS Wo

Post by leopoldus » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:16 am

Jossi wrote:There is already an option to assign a keyboard shortcut to "Next paragraph". As the feature works now, all that is needed would be an additional option to assign a shortcut to "Select paragraph" to make format transfer usable by keyboard only.
IMHO it is not important, how many elements, one or ten, are currently absent to transfer a source text paragraph or font format to the target with the keyboard only. The only essential point is, whether it is now possible or not. As much as I could understand, the answer, that currently this option is not available, is that correct?

Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers
Posts: 1025
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:47 pm
Location: Luebeck, Germany

Re: copy source paragraph formatting set and apply to the target paragraph (without changing style settings) as in MS Wo

Post by Jossi » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:20 pm

No, it isn't available yet. And I just made a suggestion how SoftMaker could possibly implement this feature in an easy way.

Post Reply

Return to “TextMaker 2016 for Windows”