portable version does not allow to assign a Backup folder outside of the app work folder - any workaround?

Questions and answers about TextMaker 2016 for Windows
Post Reply
leopoldus
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:57 pm

portable version does not allow to assign a Backup folder outside of the app work folder - any workaround?

Post by leopoldus » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:39 pm

I use TextMaker in portable mode. When I try to change Backup folder location in the settings (Tools => Options => Files => Backup => Folder to backup files) I get the error message: [For the portable version the backup folder must be inside the application folder].

Well, I can easily guess, why the developer thinks, that a user of the portable version does not need to have a backup folder in any other location at the host machine. However there are some (many) situations where these considerations do not fit. A simple warning should be quite enough, but please, please let me make the final decision by myself.

So is there any workaround for me to assign a custom location on the host machine for saving my documents backups outside of the application work folder? Thanks!

Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers
Posts: 1009
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:47 pm
Location: Luebeck, Germany

Re: portable version does not allow to assign a Backup folder outside of the app work folder - any workaround?

Post by Jossi » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:27 pm

The idea of a portable installation is that you may use SoftMaker Office on any computer whatsoever without leaving any traces. So you not only can work with SMO on computers where you don't have sufficient user rights (e. g. in a library), it's also safe for friends or colleagues to let you use their computers. Saving backups to the host computer would compromise this whole basic idea.

leopoldus
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:57 pm

Re: portable version does not allow to assign a Backup folder outside of the app work folder - any workaround?

Post by leopoldus » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:42 am

Jossi wrote:The idea of a portable installation is that you may use SoftMaker Office on any computer whatsoever without leaving any traces. So you not only can work with SMO on computers where you don't have sufficient user rights (e. g. in a library)

As I've already noticed in my previous post, I'd prefer to have an option to decide which traces and in which situations I am ready to remain on the host machine. For instance I do not wish to have settings, backups etc in the user profile on the system partition, as a non-portable version does. At the same time I do not wish these files inside SoftMaker work folder, but for instance in the separate folder on the non-system partition, say, D:\MyDocumentsBackup.
it's also safe for friends or colleagues to let you use their computers. Saving backups to the host computer would compromise this whole basic idea.
I am not sure, do you mean, that the whole basic idea is to use portable version of SoftMaker in order to protect a third computer? Using SoftMaker portable version as an anti-virus - it is quite surprising approach for me.

Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers
Posts: 1009
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:47 pm
Location: Luebeck, Germany

Re: portable version does not allow to assign a Backup folder outside of the app work folder - any workaround?

Post by Jossi » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:55 pm

leopoldus wrote:For instance I do not wish to have settings, backups etc in the user profile on the system partition, as a non-portable version does. At the same time I do not wish these files inside SoftMaker work folder, but for instance in the separate folder on the non-system partition, say, D:\MyDocumentsBackup.
In this case you will be into trouble as soon as you use your portable installation on a computer without a D: partition. Or are you going to use the portable installation exclusively on your own computer? In this case, the sense of a portable installation escapes me.

campingcheese
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:45 am

Re: portable version does not allow to assign a Backup folder outside of the app work folder - any workaround?

Post by campingcheese » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:51 pm

Jossi wrote:In this case you will be into trouble as soon as you use your portable installation on a computer without a D: partition. Or are you going to use the portable installation exclusively on your own computer? In this case, the sense of a portable installation escapes me.
As an unprivileged user, I can not install software on my work computer - so I use the portable installation from a directory under my user profile. But I still would like to have the document backups be in my Documents directory to be included in the company backup.

Post Reply

Return to “TextMaker 2016 for Windows”