option to remember zoome factor for every specific document

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for TextMaker 2016 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

leopoldus

option to remember zoome factor for every specific document

Post by leopoldus » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:13 pm

Hi,

Is there any way to make TextMaker to remember the last used zoom factor for every specific document and restore it automatically when the document will be reopened the next time.

Thanks!

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: option to remember zoome factor for every specific document

Post by martin-k » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:16 pm

This is done anyway. The zoom level is stored in the document.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

leopoldus

Post by leopoldus » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:30 am

martin-k wrote:This is done anyway. The zoom level is stored in the document.
It seems, that each of us mean different things. If I manually change a zoom level (Main menu: View => Zoom level), then close the document (even without exiting the application) and then re-open it, the last zoom level is not restored automatically, but some other zoom level is used be default.

What do you mean when you say that the zoom level is stored in the document?

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:38 am

When you change a document, it is marked as changed, and you are prompted to save it when you close it.

Changing the zoom level does not (on purpose) set this flag, but if you manually save your document after changing the zoom level, the zoom level is memorized and restored when you re-open the document.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

leopoldus

Post by leopoldus » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:17 pm

martin-k wrote:Changing the zoom level does not (on purpose) set this flag, but if you manually save your document after changing the zoom level, the zoom level is memorized and restored when you re-open the document.
Now I see what you mean, thanks.

Thus please regard my question as a feature request to add an option to remember and restore the last used zoom level for each document when it will be re-opened in spite of the fact whether the document was saved or not. Some other text processors can do it.

Besides it seems to be much more reasonable to save this data somewhere in TextMaker history / configuration files, not in the the document itself. You should take into consideration, that the document might be sent to other users, who do not use TextMaker, so storing TextMaker specific information inside the document is not the good approach.

Furthermore, a user might work with multiple documents formats in TextMaker, but I suppose, that TextMaker can not add the level zoom mark to all other formats besides its own native formats, am I right?

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:21 pm

Your idea is an interesting approach, but it fails because it is not compatible with Microsoft Word. Word also stores the zoom level in its files (DOC, DOCX etc.), and we have to stay compatible with this approach. Imagine the complaints if we ignored the zoom level in Word documents, or if a user-chosen zoom level doesn't get used when another user opens a TextMaker-created document in Word.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

leopoldus

Post by leopoldus » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:24 am

martin-k wrote:Your idea is an interesting approach, but it fails because it is not compatible with Microsoft Word. Word also stores the zoom level in its files (DOC, DOCX etc.), and we have to stay compatible with this approach.
I don't see any incompatibility with MS Word in the event, that the last zoom level of the specific document is stored in a TextMaker log-file. Any data stored in TextMaker configuration files will not any way affect opening this document in MS Word.
Imagine the complaints if we ignored the zoom level in Word documents, or if a user-chosen zoom level doesn't get used when another user opens a TextMaker-created document in Word.
I do not belief some TextMaker users expects that a zoom level of the document in MS Word will be automatically passed to TextMaker.
Furthermore there is no reason why a user of TextMaker should depend of the fact, which zoom level used a MS Word user when worked last time with the same document (my user habits presumably are not the same with another user, especially if we use the different application).

Return to “TextMaker 2016 for Windows”