Labels, Avery 5167

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for TextMaker 2016 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

bluffhollow

Labels, Avery 5167

Post by bluffhollow » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:15 pm

I'm trying to print return address labels - I need 49 different sets. I couldn't find this number (5167) in Textmaker's list of Avery labels so created my own format as best I could - 80 labels per 8-1/2" x 11" sheet. (Is there an equivalent among the labels available in Textmaker?)

I have three lines of type for each label, but when I create a new document - first copying and pasting the text in the field at the top of the Generate List/Label box - only the first line shows up in each label. This line is centred on each label, even though I want it at the left margin.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks very much.

Alfred

Re: Labels, Avery 5167

Post by Alfred » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:47 am

bluffhollow wrote:I couldn't find this number (5167) in Textmaker's list of Avery labels
I found '5167 Easy Peel Return Address Labels' on the Avery US Letter list.
bluffhollow wrote:I have three lines of type for each label, but when I create a new document - first copying and pasting the text in the field at the top of the Generate List/Label box - only the first line shows up in each label. This line is centred on each label, even though I want it at the left margin.
A quick test here indicates that the size can't be more than 8pt for a common font such as Arial or Times New Roman with single line spacing. Use the paragraph alignment buttons on the toolbar (or the corresponding keyboard shortcuts) to change the alignment of the text.
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever.
(Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.)
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)

bluffhollow

Post by bluffhollow » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:03 am

Thanks for your reply, but I need some more help here. When I go to Generate List/Label, then go to Label Format, the only Avery listings I see are:
Avery Laseretikketen
Avery Matrixetikketen

but I don't see any US Letter list. I checked for updates, and I'm up to date with Softmaker.

The label information I've input is Times Roman 8 pt, and only the first line shows up on each label. The Left paragraph alignment button is selected, but the only way I can get Left alignment is by going into each label and adjusting the margin sliders at the top of the document - otherwise the info on each label is centred.

I don't know if I can attach a screenshot here, but if you have an email address I'd be glad to send some.

Thanks - any suggestions would be most appreciated.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:41 am

bluffhollow wrote:Thanks for your reply, but I need some more help here. When I go to Generate List/Label, then go to Label Format, the only Avery listings I see are:
Avery Laseretikketen
Avery Matrixetikketen

but I don't see any US Letter list. I checked for updates, and I'm up to date with Softmaker.
Please see attached screenshot (TextMaker Professional rev.757.0510)
Attachments
screenshot.png
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Robin Holt

Post by Robin Holt » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:20 pm

If I recall correctly, many of the label formats were not released with the early releases of Office 2016 and were only included somewhat later. They were also not part of the service packs.

I didn't get the labels until I downloaded the basic product again and did a full reinstall. Why don't you try that? It worked for me several months ago.

bluffhollow

Post by bluffhollow » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:48 am

Thanks, Sven and Robin. I'm getting closer, but not quite there yet. I reinstalled Softmaker and now have the full list of labels, including the 5167 I was looking for. When I create a new document (using 8pt Times Roman, as before), I still see only the first line in each label, and it's centred (despite having selected the Left Align button) horizontally and vertically.

I've worked around this by selecting one label and adjusting the sliding selectors at the top and side until the text is aligned properly. I can then copy this one label and paste it into the rest of the labels on the sheet - then they're all aligned correctly. If I select one column of labels I can adjust the text in the entire column with the top sliders, but the side sliders don't work when I select one row, so the copy/paste workaround seems to be the most efficient way of doing it.

If there's a faster way - given that I have to do this 49 times - I'd appreciate knowing about it. Otherwise, it's working, and that's what I need.

Great software, great forum - thanks for your suggestions.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:51 am

bluffhollow wrote:Thanks, Sven and Robin. I'm getting closer, but not quite there yet. I reinstalled Softmaker and now have the full list of labels, including the 5167 I was looking for. When I create a new document (using 8pt Times Roman, as before), I still see only the first line in each label, and it's centred (despite having selected the Left Align button) horizontally and vertically.
Could you please send us a sample, so that we can have a look at it (forum(at)softmaker.de)? Thank you!
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Alfred

Post by Alfred » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:35 pm

bluffhollow wrote:I've worked around this by selecting one label and adjusting the sliding selectors at the top and side until the text is aligned properly. I can then copy this one label and paste it into the rest of the labels on the sheet - then they're all aligned correctly. If I select one column of labels I can adjust the text in the entire column with the top sliders, but the side sliders don't work when I select one row, so the copy/paste workaround seems to be the most efficient way of doing it.
Try the attached. Rather than using the side sliders to adjust the vertical alignment, I've set the 'Before' paragraph spacing (via 'Format > Paragraph... > Paragraph spacing') to 2pt, so instead of pressing Enter at the end of each line (which would give you a paragraph break) you'll need to press Shift+Enter to give you a line break. If you prefer to set the cell margins, you can adjust the selected cells' top margins numerically in one fell swoop, via 'Table > Cell Properties... > Margins'.
Attachments
t16015 Avery 5167.tmd
(13.78 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever.
(Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.)

bluffhollow

Post by bluffhollow » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:34 pm

Aha . . . thank you! I never thought to adjust cell margins as if it was a table, but that did the trick. I knew there had to be a better way!

Much obliged.

Alfred

Post by Alfred » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:46 pm

The thing is, it is a table! Anyway, I'm glad I was able to help. :)

Return to “TextMaker 2016 for Windows”